UKC

Outdoor beastboard

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pazz1987 13 Dec 2017
Hi all I live in the UK and haven't got space for a training wall in the house I was looking into building a beastboard/moonboard outdoors.

As you all know the weather is always a factor but I want to be able to use it as much of the year as I can. I was thinking of having felt on the back of the wall to protect the bolts for the holds and maybe a roof of some kind to keep the rain off the holds. Wondering if anyone has done this or has any designs or insight into the best way to build this
 Fraser 13 Dec 2017
In reply to pazz1987:

Not done it myself but I'd use a large tarp over the back as this will provide full, seamless cover, unlike the felt option. The key to success is really going to be keeping any moist air off the holds. Make sure it's always well ventilated but also has protection from direct and wind-blown rain.
 Scott K 13 Dec 2017
In reply to pazz1987:

UK is pretty big. Kind of depends where you are too. A-frame would give you some protection with a tarp over the top.
 stp 13 Dec 2017
In reply to pazz1987:

I've seen boards created so that they're free standing (because in rented accommodation the climbers didn't want to drill into the walls). If done using 4 legs then adding a roof to the structure would be fairly straightforward. Then you might just want a bit of tarp to stop rain blowing in on gusty days.

BTW For a home board using bolts might now be considered a bit old skool. Many/some? hold sets these days feature holes for fixing with normal, crosshead countersunk screws. Would save a lot of time and reduce costs.
 TonyB 13 Dec 2017
Removed User 13 Dec 2017
In reply to TonyB:

What a hero, that's what a back garden is for!
 bouldery bits 13 Dec 2017
In reply to pazz1987:
Honestly?

Price it up, then work out how long you could be a member of the local wall for for the same money.

I did this calculation and quickly decided to stick with the wall.

Still, would be super cool for BBQ season.

(Classic UKC response of not answering your question at all an instead providing an unwanted opinion)
Post edited at 23:02
 sg 13 Dec 2017
In reply to TonyB:

Mine's similar to that but has dark green bituminous roofing sheets on back which are ideal. Rubber epdm offcut used to seal gap between ply and roof at top end. Will take a pic at some point. High grade exterior ply with a few coats of varnish for main board (moonboard). Also adjustable in theory and though it's been 40 degs since built 18 months ago am currently thinking I may raise a bit to make it more useful for my out of shape self. Certainly feels a bit too hardcore on a cold wet night. Summer evening though it's fab.
 yodadave 14 Dec 2017
In reply to pazz1987:

yeah, I've got one like Tonys too.

I live in a particularly wet part of scotland and its done fine in its first year. It's definitely gotten wet at times but for me its saved more money than even driving to the nearest gym, let alone paying gym fees.

Mine is probably a bit steep but I could change the angle if I weren't so lazy. I went for the cheapest currugated roofing available and it's done fine. The edges of the ply do act like a sponge so they are protected with lino that laps into the roofing like roof flashing.

My only issue is that you can boulder when its raining. Phase 2 may include an extendable tarp shelter staked out. I also need better lighting for the dark evenings, rechargeable work lamps?
 jkarran 14 Dec 2017
In reply to TonyB:

> I have this in my garden
Nice, built to double as a bomb shelter

OP: If you just want to keep the weather off the board then overlapping layers of membrane or roofing felt on the back surface (protected from screws) of a steep board and a bit of a hat/roof at the top will do fine. You'll still need an outdoor ply or the damp will kill it. If you want to keep the weather off you you'll need a bit of a roof. Are you sure you'll get enough use from an outdoor board to justify the effort?
jk

TonyB 14 Dec 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Honestly?

> Price it up, then work out how long you could be a member of the local wall for for the same money.

> I did this calculation and quickly decided to stick with the wall.

I have a year membership to the local wall, so clearly a home wall as well is not an economic choice. However, it fits well around childcare/family commitments. I mostly use it when my wife travels, and I would otherwise need a babysitter to climb. It's also useful for short sessions when I otherwise couldn't go to the wall.
 bouldery bits 14 Dec 2017
In reply to TonyB:

Fair enough! That makes total sense

(I'm just jealous!!!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...