UKC

Outdoor circuit board advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 26 Mar 2020

I'm considering making a simple, 20 degree overhanging circuit board lashed to an oak tree in my garden. Quite narrow, a meter or 1.5m maybe, but could go 3 or 3.5 high. Just wondering about materials - I can make a frame of 2x2 tantalised and/or weatherproofed in some way easily enough, but I'm thinking that if I attach plywood sheets, they won't like getting damp.

Any advice? Anyone made wooden climbing structures in their garden?

Jezadee 26 Mar 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

I'm in a similar situation - on here reading about lots of great garage set-ups but with no garage - so planning on making something outside when I get the chance. Meanwhile, designing it is a wee distraction.

My backyard fence has conveniently fallen over, so needs to be replaced; equally convenient, the recent delivery of plywood, and the box of holds.

So, the plan here is to rebuild back fence on the wonk, in WBP ply, then add a little a canopy to shield back of wall, or even line out the whole back wall. All those T-nuts are going to expose a lot of ply edges, and there are lots of places for water to get trapped, so my current thinking is to protect the back of the wall with a lightweight skin.

Re. materials - having built lots of outdoor ramps for skateboarding, we found WBP ply as reliable as Marine ply, and half the price. The tanalised timber is a must; I assume you're aware of the need to protect yourself from the dust when you're working that. Also, separating structure from ground moisture.

Thinking about your post, I'm going to hazard an educated guess that 2x2 framing is going to flex excessively. Plying the frame on both sides would help a little but I'd be looking to use heavier framing timber - 2"x6". In terms of design, 4' - 5' wide is pretty skinny indeed. Can you wrap something around the tree, or make a little traversing island?

Thanks for starting the thread. It'll be interesting to see what folk on this one.

EDIT: and there's this...opps... https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/walls+training/diy_moonboard_in_the_garde...

Post edited at 17:12
 misterb 26 Mar 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

If you can use 2 sheets of ply so you have 6ft by  8ft high it would be worth it

2x2 might be too flexy tho ,4x2 is ideal

If you use only screw on holds and get the right length screws so they don't come out of the back of the board all you need to do is gloss paint it on both sides and you are laughing

Until it's pissing  down that is!!

TonyB 26 Mar 2020
 Howardw1968 28 Mar 2020
In reply to bpmclimb:

We have one in our Garden, It uses 2x4’s for the structure and is moonboard styled two 8x4 panels at 30 degrees above a 1 foot kickboard. We also filled the side triangles in to give some vertical with an 8x3 section next to one of them. (The off cut from the kick board) 

We paint it every year to protect it and I have just this week put a tarpaulin up over it so that we can use it in the rain during lockdown. 

I haven’t logged in for ages so will try and work out how to post photo’s for you

RD 29 Mar 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...