UKC

Painting home board with t-nuts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has anyone got any experience with this? How did you go about protecting the t-nuts during painting? Is there anything I should do / not do?

Any advice appreciated.

In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

I had no problem painting mine using a roller. Maybe just luck?

I have heard of Golf tees being used to mask the holes. Personally, I wouldn't suffer the indignity. 

Mike-W-99 23 Nov 2021

Hi Martin, we didn’t bother and no harm seems to have been done.

lumu_tit 23 Nov 2021

m10 hand tap might be useful for the odd one that gets caked in paint.

gravy 23 Nov 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Same here, slapped the paint on with a brush with no protection, no problem.

Only down side is if you're looking for a cosmetically perfect surface the paint can sit in the hole and then dribble (either down the wall or onto the floor if it is steep enough) (why do you care about cosmetics? once you've used it a few times it will be mank with a patina of rubber, finger grease and chalk).

However, when applying thick friction / texture stuff with sand etc in it I plug the holes with bits of tissue - doesn't require much care. But I only bother when I'm troweling the gunk on to avoid gluing up the threads.  For me this is for volumes so there aren't usually many tee nuts to fill (I don't bother using tee nuts on volumes anymore anyway, just screw on). Just pull the nose plugs out before the gunk sets.

Post edited at 17:27

Thanks for the quick advice folks. I've also just chatted to a mate who said he's rolled his wall before and it was fine.

It's not textured paint that's going on the board. Would rather not go through my rock boots by climbing on it!

Cheers! 

PaulJepson 23 Nov 2021

How about something like packing chips to fill the holes?

The correct answer of course is to paint the wall before you install the t-nuts but hindsight is a beautiful thing. 

In reply to PaulJepson:

> The correct answer of course is to paint the wall before you install the t-nuts but hindsight is a beautiful thing. 

The board was actually painted, however recycled from an existing board. I had to chop it up to best secure the panels. I can live with it, but figured it might be nice to redo at some point. 

You can see below it's quite, erratic now!

gravy 24 Nov 2021

Dazzle camouflage

Nige M 24 Nov 2021

Put Blu Tack loosely in the holes to prevent paint dribbling onto thread of T-nut. Remove once paint is dry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...