UKC

Pulhamite climbing wall in your garden

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 adstapleton 25 Nov 2012
I just learnt about pulhamite (google it). Basically it's artificial rock and I just saw matey on telly use it to cover a wooden frame thus 'manufacturing' a boulder.

You can imagine where my train of thought went after seeing this. How feasible do you think it is to construct a massive wooden frame in your garden, cover it in pulhamite and fashion a few V5s into it (other grades are available)?

It'd be intrinsically weather proof. I imagine feasibility all comes down to how strong the 'rock' is.

Anyone tried such a thing?
 Elrond 25 Nov 2012
In reply to adstapleton:

Would it not just get Really dull though?? After you've done all the routes then surely its a bit useless?

Still seems like a cool idea though!!
OP adstapleton 25 Nov 2012
In reply to Hazelnuts:

Good point, but the training wall I built in my garage is really dull and I've changed the holds around loads of times.
 kwoods 25 Nov 2012
In reply to adstapleton:
> (In reply to Hazelnuts)
>
> Good point, but the training wall I built in my garage is really dull and I've changed the holds around loads of times.

I don't think having one set of holds permanently in place will remotely solve that problem. Find that Malc Smith video about setting problems on a small wall, focusing on footwork. It's on the net somewhere.

I use a board that me and a pal built in his tiny spare room; making creative moves is definitely a black art and in my opinion making them to work to your weaknesses is harder again. But I don't think a permanent wall outside will help.

But imagine building a freaking huge roof in your back garden. ^_^
OP adstapleton 25 Nov 2012
In reply to kwoods:

How about a 'proper' rock wall/boulder/cave with some bolt holes and tee-nuts to chuck a few different holds every now and then? Much like some of the walls at Mile End and the Castle, but more 'rocky'?

To be honest I think the enjoyment of just building a massive 'boulder' in your back garden over a summer could be more enjoyable in itself than the climbing you get out of it.
 paul walters 30 Nov 2012
In reply to adstapleton: A bit random this, but I once rented a bungalow and fixed a load of holds on the walls either side of the hallway... I arranged them so I could get from the bedroom to the bathroom or living room without touching the floor.... just an idea ? (BTW< Landlord didn't seem to mind, as we was going to rip it to bits when I moved out anyway)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...