UKC

Pull-up bar for extra wide doors (37")

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 22 Mar 2020

As many others, given the situation, I'm trying to get a fingerboard to use in my flat.

Since the better half doesn't want me to drill holes or leave any marks at all, I'll have to go for a removable* pull-up bar to mount on the door frame, to which I'll have to attach the fingerboard.

The problem is, the doors in my flat are abnormally wide... 37". Needless to say, all the pull-up bars I can find on Amazon don't fit because they are narrower.

Apart from moving to a more climber-friendly flat or changing missus, is there any good soul who has some advice on how to solve this problem?

[* the Crusher fingerboard support unfortunately is not an option, as it's kind of semi-permanent]

nikoid 23 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed UserUrbanClimber:

I've just put "fixing fingerboard above door" into the search text box on here and 13 results came up. Must be some useful ideas amongst them.

Jon Greengrass 23 Mar 2020

If your flat is old enough to  have 37" wide doors, the trim around the door is probably solid enough to hang off, when I was a student that's what we used.

Qwerty2019 23 Mar 2020

Pull up mate from Argos etc.  I’m sure there is some way a finger board could be mounted.  My daughters had one for 3 yrs.  it’s perfect for loads of different exercises to

Removed User 24 Mar 2020
In reply to nikoid:

Good pointer, thanks! I looked into those. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solution suitable to my situation. As far as I can see, they either use a standard door-mount pull-up bar (but then they have standard doors!) or a semi-permanent support (e.g. the Crusher).

I think extending a standard pull-up bar is probably the easies... least painful thing to do.

Removed User 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Actually, the flat is kind of new (less than 15 years old maybe?), which makes me wonder why they chose this type of doors... Also, no trim

Removed User 24 Mar 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

I had never heard of the pull-up mate... Sounds like a potential solution!

When packed away, it seems pretty compact. When mounted, it's basically a gym. Judging by the number of pieces, it doesn't even seem it takes ages to mount/dismount it.

I'll give it a think - great suggestion, thanks!

nikoid 25 Mar 2020

Ok Hope you find a solution!

Lemony 25 Mar 2020

When you say that the crusher mount is semi permanent, what do you mean? It takes less than a minute to put up and take down so we just pop it up when required.

Removed User 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

For some reason I thought it'd take far more than that! Is it just a matter of screwing/unscrewing the fingerboard on/off it, then?

Lemony 25 Mar 2020

Exactly. You slot it into place and hook over the top of the door frame then lean on the back piece and tighten the wing nuts. See here:  youtube.com/watch?v=GZohJXWC2mA&

Jim233 25 Mar 2020

The pull-up bar I have came from Argos and extends to just over 37 inches (95cm).

Only used it in my door frame, obviously, which is 32 inches, but should do the job.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6200299

Removed User 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Ha! Thanks for the video - now I can see it's basically 2 screws to remove the support (and I think I could leave the fingerboard attached, too).

Removed User 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Jim233:

I noticed that too... so, I actually looked at both the pull-up bar you linked and the PullMate that @Qwerty2019 suggested and when I tried to check out... FFS they don't deliver anymore (and not in stock to collect near where I live, either).

There must be some dark force that doesn't want me to train!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...