UKC

Recommend me a wall (Leeds area)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lornajkelly 25 Jul 2018

The OH and I are (or were) regulars at the Leeds wall - toproping up to 6a+ and leading up to 5.  We get outside when we can but it's not often so we need an indoor wall for until the Leeds wall reopens.  This could be a while.

We both work at Leeds uni so use the edge mid-week, but would like somewhere with a bit more variety for weekends.  Rokt in brighouse seems more of a bouldering venue, and £15 per person is an outrage.  Harrogate and Huddersfield seem a bit more like it, but are further afield.

Any regular users of the above have anything to say about what they like about them, or don't like about them?  

In case anyone wants to suggest - we hate bouldering.  Others love it, good for them.  It's not our thing.

lithos 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Hgate is good, contrast to leeds - brighter and more cheeery!  Friendly staff, routes are generally good and changed reasonably often (over winter - no idea about at the moment) plenty of parking, easy to get to reasonable cost, good cafe or coffee/cake.  Plenty of stuff around you grade.

not as tall or as extensive as Leeds but better IMHO and closer to York.

give it a go

Bulls Crack 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Depending on which side of Leeds you are a Harrogate or Huddersfield although Harrogate is better overall.  Rokt?  Weird routes. Occasionally use the oh wall for mileage but that's it. 

Must be a bit hot indoors at the moment? 

OP Lornajkelly 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Bulls Crack:

It is, but those venues without large windows tend to keep a more reasonable temperature, such as the Edge wall.  It's certainly more pleasant (for us) than a recent jaunt to Froggatt edge in the glaring sun.

We are, frustratingly, about 500m from the Leeds wall as the crow flies.  Huddersfield in clear traffic is about half an hour away in the car - we're probably going to try that first.  

Thanks for the feedback.

GwilymR 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

At the grades you're climbing I think you'll enjoy Huddersfield. It's not the best wall in the country and is limited above the 7a ish mark but is tall, light and the staff are nice. Gets lots of kids groups unfortunately. 

climberchristy 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Harrogate wall is really good. Very friendly staff. Good route-setting at all grades, good range of styles of climbing, good balance of lead and top-rope opportunities, decent little shop, nice cafe. Would definitely recommend.

rola 26 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Rokt in Brighouse has 4 silo's of 15m with assorted grades (top ropes or can be lead ) , a lead wall of 21m with a range of grades besides the bouldering.

The cost is £8 - the £15 is for the outside wall - Roktface - both 28m and 36m high, but needs to be booked, but well worth it for a change.

Post edited at 12:45
 JMarkW 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

I was really hoping to convince you of the odd bouldering session ????.....The Lab on kirkstall road is fun. Lots of easy problems great for a big volume session....

I'm really looking forward to seeing a new revitalised leeds wall this winter!

Cheers

Mark

James Malloch 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Henry Price wall? Nice long traverses and next to the uni.

Way better than paying loads of money to climb indoors in summer and it'll certainly build your stamina!

hbeevers 27 Jul 2018
In reply to Lornajkelly:

Hi,

We were at Harrogate wall yesterday keeping out of the rain and go regularly through winter. There's loads of climbs around 5-6b with a good mix of lead and top-rope, slab to overhang etc. The routes are reset fairly frequently and the bouldering wall seems to be popular.

It's pretty warm climbing indoors at the moment, I don't think there's anything much they can actually do about that though...

OP Lornajkelly 28 Jul 2018
In reply to rola:

> The cost is £8 - the £15 is for the outside wall

That's really useful, thank you.  Might give it a go after all, and see what the indoor lead and toprope walls are like.  We'll probably cycle between huddersfield and brighouse.

Bulls Crack 28 Jul 2018

> I'm really looking forward to seeing a new revitalised leeds wall this winter!

Yes but not too soon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...