UKC

Reflection in Climbing Coaches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lkilsbysteele 10 Dec 2018

Hi guys,

I am a climbing coach and coaching student. I am wondering how many coaches out there undergo reflection upon there coaching practices?

nikoid 10 Dec 2018
In reply to lkilsbysteele:

Or their spelling?

Luke90 10 Dec 2018

Are you referring to some specific, formal process of "Reflection"? Because I'm pretty sure that everyone in any job occasionally ponders how effective they're being.

alx 10 Dec 2018

I would say next to none given the train hard and starve I’m different I’m a climber I don’t need to obey the laws of nutrition mentality that persists.

OP lkilsbysteele 10 Dec 2018
In reply to Luke90:

Hi there 

Yes my question is do they undergo a formal process!

Mehmet Karatay 10 Dec 2018

I can't speak for everybody, but I personally find reflection very helpful for my development. After each session, I'll think about things that I'd like to do again and things I'd do differently. I might think about a few 'what if' scenarios as well.  Most of the time, I try to write it down but I don't always get the chance while it's fresh in my mind. Occasionally, I'll approach other coaches/mountaineering instructors to describe a situation I faced and find out how they would have approached it.

An element of reflection is a key part of Mountain Training's Foundation and Development coach awards. 

Mehmet

John Kettle 10 Dec 2018

If the coach goes through the formal Mountain Training quals route then yes, as Mehmet says reflective practice is an essential part of the syllabus and folks are required to demonstrate it at every level of the awards (in increasing depth and quality). As an award provider, it's an area where people often come up short of the mark and require extra help.

However anyone can call themselves a climbing coach, so there's no guarantee that they've stopped to ponder the quality/impact of their coaching.

Post edited at 23:15
 PaulTclimbing 28 Dec 2018

If your in your fifties you will have seen in life and work the emergence of a manageriism doctrine from somewhere, who knows where of plan do review cycles for more effective bliurgh. Where it came from who knows. It's basically a waste of time. Don't bring this into climbing with a joyous little whoo. It has no effect elsewhere. People don't even know if it works. Its just the trend to more monitoring and the antithesis of a free thinking climbing individual or coach I'm sorry to say.  Keep your formal process in the improvement ox  it came from

Post edited at 11:00
 wbo 28 Dec 2018
In reply to PaulTclimbing: So you don't think coaches should think about what they're doing to improve? You work as ......? 

PaulTclimbing 28 Dec 2018
In reply to wbo:

I think its pretty clear from my remarks that I think formal self review the most devisive and odious of managerial strategies that stifles creativity, quality, style, skill, experience and improvement and is as I said antithesis and the anathema of the climbing/coaching experience. Its yet more pseudo science and is soon to be adopted no doubt by the next groupee of it all. It should be questioned all that's needed is a rudimentary/cursory instinct or reflection of what went well etc should suffice. Time and motion studies manager.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...