UKC

Roped climbing for 5 year old - North Cumbria

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MeMeMe 14 Nov 2018

I want to take our 5 year old to some indoor roped climbing, but, in recent times being somewhat more of a boulder than a roped climber, I'm a bit out of touch with where to take her.

What's my best option in North Cumbria?

The Sands Centre (while it' still there...)?

Penrith?

That wall in Keswick?

Newcastle? (!)

She's done plenty of bouldering but not really anything on the end of a rope (barring a couple of occasions outdoors when she was younger).

Andy Johnson 14 Nov 2018
In reply to MeMeMe:

The Kong Adventure centre in Keswick is pretty good. I was a bit sceptical because of the name, but found it to be a decent wall when we were in the area a few weeks ago. It also has a cafe and play area (which we didn't use) that your child may also like.

The climbing wall at Goosewell Farm outside Keswick is a bit limited due to the height of the building, but might be a good "starter wall". They also have a cafe and other activities on site.

Lord_ash2000 14 Nov 2018
In reply to MeMeMe:

Depends where is closest to you but in terms of child friendliness, I think I'd go for the King Kong wall in Keswick. It's got plenty of easy top rope walls and also play areas and stuff if they get bored. 

petegunn 14 Nov 2018
In reply to MeMeMe:

On the plus side for the wall at The Sands Centre we have 4 auto belays, so as well as belaying your daughter you can have a climb as well.

Thursday, Friday evenings are quiet from 3 - 6pm

Saturday afternoon/eveins quiet 

Sunday all day quiet 

Post edited at 10:23
OP MeMeMe 14 Nov 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

Maybe the Kong Adventure Centre that sounds like it might be the best option. It's a bit of a drive but then so is everywhere when you live in Cumbria!

I might email them and check we can just turn up and climb. We had some disappointment with a bouldering wall in London because although we'd gone through all the online forms it turned out she was too young to climb there. Don't want that again!

Thanks for the replies!

OP MeMeMe 14 Nov 2018
In reply to petegunn:

Embarrassingly enough I've never actually climbed at the Sands Centre, we never make it any further than Eden Rock.

Can we just turn up and climb? (after filling in the requisite forms obviously) 

petegunn 14 Nov 2018
In reply to MeMeMe:

Yes just turn up and fill in the forms.

The wall is busy during these times ( my very popular climbing classes!):

Mon 4.30 - 8.30pm. Tues 4.30 - 8.30pm. Wed 4.30 - 8.30pm. Sat 10.30 - 12.30pm

Otherwise the wall is always quiet. By quiet I mean no one using the wall. It's not however quiet from the music in the shared room (divided by a thick red curtain) but all evenings do have a quiet period were the music is not on. This is normally after lunch till 6pm when the fitness classes start.

Weekends are much quieter apart from my morning class on saturday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...