UKC

Tennis Elbow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 19 May 2014
So the weather's picked up and I've been getting out scarmbling, indoor climbing and trail riding alot over the past few weeks. I still need too get it properly diaganosed but I think I have a mild case of tennis elbow. I've been steadily exercising it using a weighter bar an it does seem to be helping.

However my question is; should I stop climbing entirely while it's heling or just avoid putting excessive strain on the tendon while climbing?

Thanks for any help offered.
 Andy Hardy 19 May 2014
In reply to Tigger:

personally I'd cut back on the indoor climbing, maybe replace a wall session with rehab / antagonistic strengthening session. I'd still climb outside though (probably avoiding bouldering or really steep stuff requiring deep lock offs)
 kedvenc72 19 May 2014
In reply to Tigger:

I agree with Andy. I had trouble with golfers elbow (still have to a certain extent). Tried different physios and a 3 month lay-off to no improvement. In the end I just decided I'd have to get on with it but be sensible and concentrate on improved technique for a few months (gritstone slabs mostly) slowly increasing difficulty. Also did press-ups, excentric contractions, and fore arm stretches. A year later and I don't really notice it any more.
OP Tigger 20 May 2014
Thanks for the advice. I'm mainly into scrambling and only just starting to get into roped climbing, so no lead experience yet. I guess I'll just just keep to the scrambling for a while and return to some of the easier routes at my local wall in a few weeks. Most likely it was bought on by poor technique.
Anyway thanks again for the advice!
 GeoffRadcliffe 20 May 2014
In reply to Tigger:

>I've been steadily exercising it using a weighter bar an it does seem to be helping.

Continue with the exercises and add some stretches (look on-line for these). Increase the intensity of the exercise slowly. If the elbow becomes inflamed ease off. Take anti-inflammatories to keep the inflammation down. Also, massage the painful part of the elbow before, after and during exercise. There is also the following exercise you can do (this works for golfer's and tennis elbow):
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3614
OP Tigger 21 May 2014
Yea that's the exercise I've been doing but that video explains it much better, thanks! - when I say 'weighted bar' what I actually meant was various sized hammers from the workshop.
Woke up at 5 this morning and I didn't even start to noticed it until gone 6 hopefully I'll be able to start on some easy routes at the wall next week. Just hoping I'm ready for Wales next month.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...