UKC

The Send, Hereford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TL2309 24 Dec 2017
Does anyone know whether The Send in Hereford is currently open for business? Their website/facebook page doesn't look terribly promising...
 luke glaister 24 Dec 2017
In reply to TL2309:

Its Clossed I'm afraid. And It doesn't look good either. I hope it's just rumers I'm hearing but sounds like it's gonna. Gutted cause it's only a mile from me.
Luke.
In reply to TL2309:

It struggled financially due to the be-vested and be-beanied types failing to buy lapis brushes and chalk buckets.

They can't get to the door due to the mass of pensioners in a dither, puzzled as to why they can't post their "Christmas card-with-a-fiver-tucked-in" to their grandchildren from a shop called "The Send"
 jj-1992 24 Dec 2017
In reply to TL2309:

It's not looking good, rumours of it closing perminantly unfortunately. Real shame as it's so close, hopefully something will change in the New Year.

I was in there the day before it closed and nothing was said or could be seen to be going on.
 Tim Sparrow 24 Dec 2017
In reply to TL2309:
Arrived there after an hours drive to find it shut. Proper fed up but even more so if it closes down, I really enjoyed it there.
Tomtom 25 Dec 2017
In reply to TL2309:

Shame. I visited a couple of times when in that neck of the woods. Good wall with bags of potential, and nice owners.
I think walltopia massively saw them off with the design though. Don't know Hereford at all to comment on how well situated it was, but great building, with plans for an upstairs training facility.
HerClmb 26 Dec 2017
In reply to jj-1992:

I was also there the evening before it closed as well. There was no indication that anything was wrong. They recently went through a re-branding and had plans in the pipeline to add to the facilities there. I even think i remember one of the employees there setting a route the evening before it closed. I hope it isn't a permanent closure and it opens again in the new year.

There is nothing else nearby for anyone living in Hereford. The next closest ones are The Warehouse in Gloucester, Llangorse climbing center in Llangorse and Redpoint in Worcester. All of which are an hour or more away. There used to be a bouldering center in Credenhill but i have heard that also closed down last year?
 naylormat 27 Dec 2017
In reply to TL2309:

Asked around with a few people that know the staff etc, and it seems they have gone bankrupt. Apparently the staff had been informed not to come in, and wont be getting paid in full.

Digging around all the Sites and social media have gone offline and the owners social profiles have all been deleted.

Sucks as this was a fantastic wall. Hopefully someone will buy it out and run it without making a loss.

Martin Bennett 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Surely doomed to failure from the start with the marketing bloomer of restricting it's potential clientele to those who feel that the term "send" has anything to do with climbing?
 jj-1992 27 Dec 2017
In reply to HerClmb:

I had heard the plans for adding more facilities to the place, no real evidence of it all going wrong at all.

All the other walls 'nearby' are an hour or more away, it was nicely convenient where it was.

If they have gone bankrupt, maybe there will be someone to take it over in the New Year. It was always busy when I was there so must have been doing ok.

It has now hit the Hereford Times with no comments from Nick or any of the other staff.
http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15794287.Unexpected_closure_of_city_climb...
 Neil Williams 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Surely doomed to failure from the start with the marketing bloomer of restricting it's potential clientele to those who feel that the term "send" has anything to do with climbing?

Looking at the sign they missed the trick of putting "climbing centre" on the signs - nobody who wasn't a climber would have had a clue what it was, and the most profitable wall users are occasional users, kids parties etc who can be "sold up" with instructors, equipment hire, food etc as well as charged higher one-off entry fees.

Members are important too (a solid base income) but the other type of clientelle are very important.
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Surely doomed to failure from the start with the marketing bloomer of restricting it's potential clientele to those who feel that the term "send" has anything to do with climbing?

Maybe the recent UKC thread started the rot:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=675088&v=1#x8685653

naylormat 27 Dec 2017
In reply to jj-1992:

It seems one of there investors pulled out, so it could be they where adding more and overspent before the money came through
 JohnBson 27 Dec 2017
In reply to HerClmb:

A great wall, I'm surprised it didn't work it seemed to do well from the number of kids groups and parties constantly on whenever I went in. At the end of the day though if climbers in Hereford want a climbing wall they might have to pay more for it.
 Os_878 27 Dec 2017
In reply to naylormat:

What about the boulder barn in Credenhill?
 luke glaister 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Os_878:

That closed down a few months ago. It's moving premises and opening in a couple of months time.
Luke.
 PCD 29 Dec 2017
In reply to Os_878:

Boulder barn have just updated their directions on Facebook which still point to Credenhill
 PCD 29 Dec 2017
In reply to luke glaister:

Boulder barn have just updated their directions on Facebook which still point to Credenhill
 luke glaister 29 Dec 2017
In reply to PCD:

That's strange. But it's definitely not there anymore. I'm friends with the owner.
Luke.
 Joel Vickers 03 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

Hi, following the news on the closure of The Send, The Warehouse Climbing Centre in Gloucester is offering whatever help they can. They have more details on an announcement on their website https://www.the-warehouse.co.uk/annoucement/ and their social media accounts. The Warehouse is about an hour away from Hereford so fully appreciate it's not ideal, but they may be able to help out some people with certain services (NICAS courses etc).
 Oceanrower 17 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

We're really excited to say that we're bringing climbing back to Hereford. The Send will be re-opening in early February as Green Spider, the latest addition to the Spider Climbing Group.

Check out Green Spider Climbing.

https://m.facebook.com/Green-Spider-Climbing-107596333384741/?ref=content_f...

Post edited at 20:10
 luke glaister 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

I'm over the moon on this news. Sooner the better. 

pasbury 17 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

My own very peripheral experience with The Send was ringing them up to take my two kids there (I am a former Hereford resident and my folks still live there). My youngest was 5 at the time and the first comment was that there wouldn't be much for him, then we would have to take out membership for all of us, boot hire was compulsory and the total cost of our first visit would be 48 quid.

I took them to clip and climb the next day instead.

It looks like a great facility but the barrier to participation was way too high.

Post edited at 21:32
 Tim Sparrow 17 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

Good to hear this

Oceanrower 18 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

Planned re-opening date is the 3rd February. 

Chris Redding 18 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

If they are opening again it kinda feels like they either messed up the purchase or started it after the close. Apparently they are honouring vouchers... so maybe it would have been good to let the media know?

I've read a fair few comments on news articles about the close and a lot of them were about not knowing the place existed, and that now they are effectively stealing money from giftcard purchasers. Sounds like a lot of bad puclicity IMO.

Oceanrower 18 Jan 2018
In reply to Chris Redding:

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my previous post.

The Send closed just before Christmas due to financial difficulties

Spider Climbing which already operates White Spider in Surbiton and Red Spider in Fareham, near Portsmouth, has put together a deal to purchase the wall and  bring it into the group.

It has also offered to honour all previous memberships, vouchers, etc. I'm not sure how that is stealing money from gift card voucher holders...

Post edited at 18:33
 Billymo 18 Jan 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

Any chance of a soft launch on the 2nd for a regular whose going Skiing on the 3rd...

Oceanrower 19 Jan 2018
In reply to Billymo:

It'll be waiting for you when you get back.

In reply to Oceanrower:

> It'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Brutal 

Post edited at 08:01
 FreeHeelSki 20 Jan 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

Superb news! Thanks v much, looking forward to it.

Oceanrower 29 Jan 2018
In reply to TL2309:

Happy to reveal that the planned opening date of the 3rd of February isn't planned anymore. It's confirmed.

JohnBson 29 Jan 2018
In reply to Oceanrower:

Glad to hear it's opening again. I've worked in the climbing wall industry and thought the send did well with children, groups and female climbers comparatively to other centres of similar size . Certainly hope that it continues and where possible improves on the experience. One of my favourite walls, better than any in Sheffield .

Oceanrower 29 Jan 2018
In reply to JohnBson:

Well, the setters for the opening include Leah Crane, Yann Genaux, Gav Symonds, Mikey Cleverdon and Matt V-C (because he's worth it!) among others so, hopefully, the routes are up to scratch!

Oceanrower 02 Feb 2018
In reply to TL2309:

That's it. Just about finished and all ready for tomorrow. See you there.

Billg 03 Feb 2018

Been to The Send today (or Green Spider as it now is..).  The reset has given great routes and blocs.

Glad to see it back

pasbury 22 Feb 2018
In reply to TL2309:

I took the kids there on Wednesday and happy to report that it's a good facility and priced more sensibly than the Send was.

It was pretty empty though (we went in the afternoon), hopefully they get the custom to keep it viable.

Just watch your skin on those fresh holds!

Post edited at 10:56
Matthew Ellis 06 Mar 2018
In reply to TL2309: yes it’s now called green spider

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...