UKC

Thirst and sweating

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Panda 23 Jun 2007
Now am about to blow all illusions!

At the wall today, I was really thirsty,so drinking lots, but also sweating heaps. My climbing partner hardly touched her water and wasn't sweaty at all. What does this mean? Is this a sign that I am really unfit or that I was dehydrated? Or something else?
 Blue Straggler 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:

It means you are way hotter than her :0)
Rosie A 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:

OR...

<staring hard at Blue Straggler>

you drank all her water. :¬)
banned profile 74 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda: more you drink the more water your body has available to sweat out.must admit i was sweating alot the other day at the foundry,way too hot and i drank loads too
 Blue Straggler 23 Jun 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:
> (In reply to Panda) more you drink the more water your body has available to sweat out.

Does it get through your system as quickly as that? i.e. you're sweating a lot and thirsty, neck a pint of water - surely it has to be absorbed, filtered etc? So the water you drink wouldn't appear as sweat until some considerable time later? Suppose it changes the balance quickly though so can encourage already-absorbed fluids through the pores though. Hmm
 dek 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:
> Now am about to blow all illusions!
>

Way too much info Young Panda!........
 Dominion 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:

How much of a hangover did you have when you woke up this morning?
OP Panda 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Dominion: None at all - I haven't drunk anything since a fortnight ago. But, I did say that I hadn't drunk enough water last night and wondered if i was dehydrated when I got up this morning. But it was the amount I was sweating that was concerning - I only drank about a litre of water over two and half hours.
Removed User 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

I am steadfastly saying nowt about water here : P
OP Panda 23 Jun 2007
In reply to dek: damn, yet another sentence which has been taken the wrong way - i was reeling out strings last week completely unintentionally!
 dek 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:
Could have been worse.....could have been Al Evans?
 biscuit 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:

I've always sweated loads no matter how fit i've been and at one stage i was quite fit, once, honest !

It won't matter how much you drink. Your body will sweat as much as it needs to to keep your core from over heating until the point that it runs out of liquid and you get very poorly.

It seems to be vastly different from person to person but i can't answer why.It's got to he point where i may have to buy a John Mcenroe style headband as sweat gets in my eyes very badly when climbing in hot conditions.I get the last laugh in Winter when i'm still toasty warm and others around me have turned blue though.

If you were sweating much more than normal for whatever reason your body was having to work very hard to keep you cool. If this is a big change and contnues i'd pop off to my GP.
OP Panda 23 Jun 2007
In reply to biscuit: it was pretty hot in there, so maybe I am just a sweaty person...nice.
 igrieveuk 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:

You could always get that roll on deodorant from the chemist that lasts up to a month after one application!!
 Heidi 23 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:
I have the same problem....very much a sweaty betty...but it does mean you don't tend to feel the cold much during the winter....Yes, that was me up Cairn Gorm in November with just a t-shirt on....
KevinD 24 Jun 2007
In reply to Panda:
> Is this a sign that I am really unfit or that I was dehydrated?

if you are sweating lots then generally you will need to take on water.
indeed if you are sweating loads, not drinking water and you stop sweating (with everything else remaining constant) you are likely to be in deep dooda

> Or something else?

what are you like in cold weather. if it doesnt particularly bother you then you are likely to be set to cold. Personally i overheat quickly and prefer the cold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...