UKC

Training calves for slabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 10 Jun 2019

I always get insanely pumped calves when tippy toeing up long slabs. Has anyone ever done any specific exercises to strengthen their calves. Loads of calf raises? 

Mr Fuller 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Weighed calf raises and calf lowers, but going running and cycling will make a big difference too.

Post edited at 13:13
 Jon Greengrass 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

I was a toe walker as a child, concerned parents took me to see a doctor, who said I would grow out of it as a I grew (heavier). I didn't I just developed very strong calf muscles, and stopped toe-walking so people didn't take the piss about me prancing about in imaginary high-heels. I've never experienced any calf pump when climbing due to my strong calf muscles, therefore I would recommend toe-walking or sawing the heels of your favourite pair of stilettos.

Post edited at 13:21
 snoop6060 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Get a toeboard. A beastmaker 2000 screwed to a skirting board for example. Just train your toes just like your fingers. To be fair I can imagine this actually working. 

Jon Stewart 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

I get excruciating foot pain, rather than calf-pump when I tippy-toe up long slabs. Then I have a massive tantrum, wailing about how shit and pointless slabs are. Then rather than vowing to start training on a toe-board, or somesuch, I swear to never climb a f*cking slab ever again. 

pasbury 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Depends on angle and whether you’re edging or smearing? Low angle and or smears; keep ankles low and relax, you’re not crimping with your toes you’re just standing.

Steep and edgy; e.g. slate, stiffer shoes help, experiment with the angles of your foot to the rock, ankle low or high, weight over big toe, inside of ankle turned in. Every move on a slab can be a rest, get your feet comfortable in between moves, tension or force only needed during the move.

tlouth7 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

For calf muscular endurance I have found* steep hill reps (running) to be effective. Also moderately slow runs where you remain on your toes.

The advantage of running/cycling in this context is that you will do far more reps than most of us could put up with as a dedicated exercise.

*I am not a medical or exercise professional

LeeWood 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

I find that shoes with stiffer soles help 

OP Kemics 11 Jun 2019
In reply to all:

Thanks for the recommendations. Think im going to mix some specific calf raises with some hill sprints. Could always do with more cardio so seems like a good compromise to hit both

pasbury 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Don’t forget technique!

john arran 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Kemics:

Rather than training calves for slabs I think you'd be better off training kids, as they will have more natural aptitude.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...