UKC

Training while away from home

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mudfan 01 Dec 2022

I only climb 6b/6c indoors but I'm going away for a couple of months. Cant bear the idea of losing hard won finger strength. Does anyone use Lattice pinch block or similar?

SteveJC94 02 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

I haven’t used the pinch block but I often use a Lattice Mini Bar  or Ash Portable Hangboard while away. Adding weight to the mini bar and lifting it works quite well. If you want to do 2 arm hangs, you can attach the Ash hangboard to a pull up bar with a sling and hang off it as you would with a foxed hangboard. 
Worth noting that finger strength isn’t the only thing that makes you a good climber so if you’re away from climbing specific training areas for a while, use it as a opportunity to work on your core and flexibility. 

In reply to mudfan:

I’ve worked all over uk and abroad and have rarely been too far from a (sometimes brilliant) indoor walk. Is there nothing near where you’re off to?

OP mudfan 02 Dec 2022
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I'm going to China for 7 weeks. I can keep my core and everything else going but finger strength is so soon lost and hard won. Dont want to do full body weight so I thought something like a lattice block might be best

In reply to mudfan:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Climbing-Running/Bouldering-Training...

I got one of these last summer and really rate it. It's light enough to take wherever you're going, can be hung in lots of places and has a decent range of holds. 

C Witter 02 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

I'm not sure finger strength is won and lost quickly... Strength in general builds slowly and is lost slowly. I doubt 2 months off will make a lot of difference: you'll probably come back feeling rusty and slow with your footwork; by your third session back you'll be ticking 6b and 6c again happily. A trip to China sounds exciting; finger exercises less so. Just a thought!

seankenny 02 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

> I'm going to China for 7 weeks. I can keep my core and everything else going but finger strength is so soon lost and hard won. Dont want to do full body weight so I thought something like a lattice block might be best

I took a Tension flash board (or something similar) on a work trip to Bangladesh. Works in the hotel gym on the pull down machine (one hand at a time) though you get some funny looks and lots of questions! Ignore the nay-sayer who suggested not bothering, you will end up with lots of quiet lonely evenings and a bit of training fills them very well. Also, it’s a great opportunity to work on finger strength! You will still have plenty of time for more cultural activities.

https://tensionclimbing.com/product/flash-board-2/

ebdon 02 Dec 2022
In reply to seankenny:

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) used it when you dont have gym access? I.e. hung somehow from a hotel door frame? 

I have taken a pull up bar (one of those that legendary as you twist so can be used in most door frames with no mounting) on extended work trips before but airport security dont like them and you get some very odd looks from colleagues...

Post edited at 11:20
 seankenny 02 Dec 2022
In reply to ebdon:

> Have you (or anyone else for that matter) used it when you dont have gym access? I.e. hung somehow from a hotel door frame? 

> I have taken a pull up bar (one of those that legendary as you twist so can be used in most door frames with no mounting) on extended work trips before but airport security dont like them and you get some very odd looks from colleagues...

Yes, I took a twist out pull up bar to South Sudan. As it happens even Juba has a gym with a pull up bar, so I just went there instead, but I packed it in my hold luggage and had no problems. 

OP mudfan 04 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

Tha nks everyone for your suggestions. I have ordered a mini bar to see how I get on with it

Martin Hore 04 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

If you're going to southern China you might even be able to climb real rock. Temperatures at Yangshuo look to be in low-mid teens with some south facing crags. Don't know if you'll find partners easily though. No problem when I was there in summer (when it was pretty hot!) Excellent sport climbing.

Martin 

Clwyd Chris 04 Dec 2022
In reply to mudfan:

Not so much these days but when I used to work offshore I would often do 6 week hitches, and generally found as long as I kept myself active and light it didn't really make a difference what so ever, and as a bonus you return refreshed and motivated, 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...