UKC

Training with Hayfever, should I give up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 22 Jun 2013
Like many people I get hay fever, like many it's vile and debilitating and not just a few sneezes. I've noticed things like getting a little out of breath climbing two flights of stairs (until hayfever I was running 3 miles at an average pace of 8:15 a mile ish).
Is there any point in me going out running whilst my respiratory system is so compromised? If so what should I do? run less far run less hard, stop if I'm out of breath or just suck it up andpush as hard as I can?
Rigid Raider 22 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Take Clarityn once a day and carry on as normal.
OP Puppythedog 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider: Thanks, I'm describing the effects after taking antihistamines. Do you still say carry on? i.e. carry on with the shortness of breath etc?
aultguish 22 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
You may need a ventolin inhaler during the hay fever season, have a chat with your GP.
Rigid Raider 22 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Give up running; why the hell do you want to go running around when God gave us bicycles?
 mrchewy 22 Jun 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider: I've seen this reply more that once in the last few days - for some, popping a pill goes some way to helping but in no way cures hayfever.

To the OP - I used to have an inhaler during hayfever season in my late twenties and even had an asthma attack once. Perfectly fine the rest of the year. Worth chatting it over with your GP I'd have thought.
 marsbar 22 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog: Can you swim instead? I much prefer being in the water during hayfever season.

I find the steroid nasal spray more use than anti histamines.
 monkeys 23 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
Had hayfever hell all of my life, but no longer take anthihistamine because contra-indicated for much more important meds I take.
Gave up dairy completely last summer to reduce the mucus factor; and ended up having NO hayfever. This year too, except occasional itchy eyes, relieved with optrex. Give it a go !.
Sounds like you may be verging on athsmatic. Worth checking out - my brother nearly died last year from first athsma attack ever, in remote location.
Had no idea he'd somehow become asthmatic.
 Trouble 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Hi

Sounds very similar to me, after taking 2-3 tablets a day, plus nasal spay and anything else I could get my hands on they had no effect and my airway becomes very very small on an evening and I struggle to breath.

I try to carry on but when I feel I can't I won't do anything, like this evening. I went to the Dr's and he gave me a steroid nasal spray - shall see if it works.

Try and carry on just take it a bit easier and train a little smarter.
 d_b 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Sounds like the pollen is triggering asthma as well as hay fever. See a doctor and get it checked out - it is usually manageable with drugs.
 cha1n 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

Try pirinase nasal spray, takes a week or so to build up and then Otrivine as and when for itchy eyes.

What antihistamines are you on? I take Fexofenadine 180mg, changed my life. As a child I had to stay indoors most of the summer until I started taking them, they are prescription only though.

ActionSte 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog: Have a word with your doctor, ive only had shortness of breath a couple of years ago, but i happened to smoke back then too.

Pollen count tends to be lower before 8am so get your running done early morning & take a few more showers during the day. I tend to change antihystemine from year to year, though last year i took cyterezine which worked great, tried it again this year & it turned me into a spaced out zombie for a couple of days. Go figure...
OP Puppythedog 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog: thank you all for your posts. I do think I am experiencing mild asthma like symptoms. I have had asthma like symptoms with it more severely several years ago but since giving up smoking several years ago I had hoped that I would not continue to experience it.
I shall go to the vets at some point. It's not preventing me from living so I'm not sure I should take medications but then maybe it's reasonable to take asthma medication to be able to train?
 marsbar 24 Jun 2013
In reply to puppythedog: My opinion is that you should get it seen to whilst it is mild, better to take medication now and get it under control than have it deteriorate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...