UKC

UKC Fat Club Week 9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 02 Mar 2014

UKC Fat Club is not a substitute for giving up pies and beer but to use in addition to such self denial as a motivational tool for all.

This training article by Dave Macleod includes a section on dietary advice from a climber's point of view:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=317

A new thread is posted each week on Sunday for anyone to jot down their previous week's sins, noting goals, successes and failures and to swap ideas.

Anyone interested in starting is very welcome but you should aim to post each week, every week, however little or much you have eaten.
By making such a regular public record of your activities and by restating your goals every week this will hopefully
improve your eating habits to help achieve your weight loss/maintenance goals whatever the level of your current blobbiness.

Link to last week's (8) thread:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=579464

practicallypixie: 2 pounds down. Let's hope the crisp eating marathon doesn't take it's revenge.
AndrewW: Same weight; not so good booze wise.
Exile: Same weight still.
Fatclimber: No weight lost, but none gained. Looks like exercise is going well.
Sleepy_trucker: 2 lbs down, and less ciggies and booze. Doing well.
Dick, Still a Fat B: Hope feeling better. Climbing too much?? Heresy!
Choss: Hope you're feeling better.
VS4b: Has now lost over a stone. You are our star performer I think.
Ciderslider: Going into hibernation by the sounds of it.

I am away from home for the next two Sundays and won't have easy internet access (I know - hard to believe in this day and age).

Can anyone volunteer to do the start-up post for the next 2 Sundays (9th and 16th)?
Post edited at 07:02
 waterbaby 02 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

You forgot me

Now I'll get a complex and eat more

Andy Gamisou 02 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

oops - sorry! Glad you're feeling better.

VS4b 02 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

I'm flattered to be star performer, but in fairness i'm probably the fattest too

So this week has been odd, no real structure followed at all following a week on holiday, generally not very good at all really: including beer and lots of crisps and chocolate on a night out so generally pleased to have stayed the same weight.

Its only four weeks now to the nidderdale sportive, which is what has been driving the weight loss so I need to buckle down to the diet. I've cycled 135miles this week, so i'm now approaching 1000miles for the year to date and nicely ahead of my target. I now need to find an event before my planned post TDF "Leeds to Cambridge in a day" ride as an interim target for after nidderdale. There is some talk of a 24hour day trip to Paris from London!

Thanks for the ongoing motivation, really helpful!
 Exile 03 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

11st 9lb this morning, lost a pound. Was lower during the week but a post route binge on the way back from Scotland yesterday put pay to that!
 Fatclimber 03 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Amazingly I am still the same weight as I was last week. It has been a real rollercoaster of a week, by Wednesday I had lost 2 Kilos, then put on 4 kilos by Saturday and have lost 2 by this morning. I think my scales fluctuate a bit but so does my life style!

However, my motivation is good. I have a week in Sardinia planned for the first week in April, and I am determined to get down a bit more before then. So the plan is to control life! I was going to stop drinking until then. but my wife has pointed out her birthday is a few days before. So teetotal for a fortnight.

I'm happy to kick things off for the next two weeks.
 Sleepy_trucker 03 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

I haven't gained or lost anything, I didn't climb at all last week but I've been busy with other things. Still keeping the smoking right down and now on champix so fingers crossed. Erm, not done so well with the booze but not too bad.

I aim to climb at least once this week and, weather permitting, next weekend away walking too so hopefully better news next week
In reply to AndrewW:

No more losses for me after a very food-centric weekend.

Off climbing for a couple of weeks in the hope that my elbow recovers before I go off to the lakes for a trad course....

So - I'll have to get myself down to the gym!
Andy Gamisou 03 Mar 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

> I'm happy to kick things off for the next two weeks.

Thanks!
Andy Gamisou 03 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Still the same. Booze as always the issue. Away from home next week and a bit, so will not be subject to the same temptations. Will be subject to a whole bunch of others though.
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

You're forgiven. My cough refuses to go away and seems worse again so not really better but getting there.

I would have offered to do the thread but I work Sundays so it would be difficult.

I waited to post this week because I weigh myself on Monday normally. This week it had to wait until today.

Had a good week last week, pulled my socks up. Swam twice even with the cough and did some quick kettlebell work twice. Tried to control my diet though I know I could have done better and I had a few evenings where I ate crap. STILL the scales tell me I've lost 2.7KG in 9 days, that's roughly 5lbs!!!!!!!!! <dances round the room> Now I just have to keep it up:-/
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Exile:

A pound is not to be scoffed at!
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to VS4b:

You are very focussed and that's half the battle. Well done on being star performer. Contrary to my apparent lack of motivation on this thread, I feel my competitive streak rearing it's head

BTW how do you know you are the fattest, I've never revealed my weight?
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to Fatclimber:

Good luck with the teetotal, I've tried but can't seem to manage it for more than 2 days.

I think you need to a) get new scales b) only weigh yourself once a week.

Well done for agreeing to run the thread.
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to practicallypixie:

Have you been to the gym yet? It wednesday already...

Leg work- squats, lunges. Big muscles in the legs, burn lots of fat
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

Remain focussed on the goal or failing that remember you have to come here and repent your sins at some point
In reply to waterbaby:
Been to the gym twice already! Lots of legs work and cross training. It's hard resisting the urge to go climbing, but if I don't fix my elbow now I risk not being able to climb EVER....so I have to be good.

Food not so good! Had TWO work events this week so far with free booze and food.... Tomorrow will be better.
Post edited at 12:58
 waterbaby 05 Mar 2014

Blimey, I'm impressed. Laying off the climbing and doing something else might just boost your fat loss though.

I'm spurred on now I've lost some weight, meant to swimming today but my cough has been really annoying so I'm reluctantly giving it a miss. I just did a kettlebell routine to compensate
Andy Gamisou 05 Mar 2014

Your elbow - is this due to your dislocation?
 VS4b 05 Mar 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Me neither i don't think, but I think it's a fairly safe bet, I genuinely don't think I can recall a time I wasn't the heaviest person in sight at a crag or wall... Not that I've climbed for ages.

Comedy moment this week was checking into a posh business hotel in my finest cycling Lycra all sweaty after arriving by bike after a 30 mile and having to queue up with everyone else in their suits. Made me smile and feel smug.

5lbs in a week or so is a great effort, I could do with that kind of week keep it up
In reply to AndrewW:

Yes - I tore all the main tendons so it took a long time to heal and - it turns out - not a long time to reinjure! It's fixable right now, but won't be if keep climbing when it hurts. I'm going to see Nina Leonfellner (currently doing a series of injury prevention articles with Robin O'leary) a week or so to get a proper recovery programme before indoor climbing again. Plan to go outside next week but only low angle, easy stuff.

Focussing on cardio seems to be doing some good! But it's not as fun as climbing...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...