UKC

UKC Rehab Rollercoaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ElArt 08 Dec 2020

Ok so it’s best to see a professional about anything serious (and a couple more) but how many climbing Physios, Osteopaths, Movement Coaches or Surgeons do you know?  Not many I’m guessing.

It’s good to have someone to relate to, to know what did and didn’t work, maybe to PM. It’s good to know how long it took a climber to get through the Rehab Rollercoaster and how he did it. It’s good to know who and where those experienced Pro’s are. 

The Forum doesn’t work for injuries because they’re archived before your fixed so there’s no follow through, but if we had an ongoing UKC Injury Club with weekly reports like Fit Club it could.

Would you use it? Ok then would you use it if you were onto your third physio, in the NHS queue, didn’t know anyone with your injury and hadn’t climbed for 8 months?

alx 08 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

Most people just ask what to expect and other than wait and sit it out what can be done.

Retrospectives can be useful but at best are anecdotal due to the specifics around the person, past medical history and type of injury.

ElArt 08 Dec 2020
In reply to alx:

Agreed and everyone is different, but we are all climbers and there’s arguably very little specific info about our sport when it comes to injury. We can also take it with a pinch of salt. 
Would you use it? As a reference, to add to, to check on something?

facet 08 Dec 2020

By what you have inferred you either have an injury you are struggling with, or have had that experience. You also give the impression by statements such as "very little specific info about our sport " that either you don't understand the general mechanics of injuries/treatment, or maybe aren't aware of where to get specific quality assessment, diagnosis and treatment advice? I'm speculating here, so help me out?

If someone has an injury specifically linked to (their) climbing they are much better placed seeing someone appropriately experienced to help them whether that's a GP/Physio/MSK cons, or someone in private practice than posting on a forum to random strangers. UKC advice isn't peer reviewed.. Great for lots of stuff... injury management ... erm... not really

ElArt 08 Dec 2020
In reply to facet:

I have been injured for 2 months. Another guy I know is injured and hasn’t been able to train for 8 months. 
I put in the original post about medical professionals being essential and I’ve seen them, have a diagnosis and am in rehab. 
I still think this information would be useful. An online doctor might as well be a witch doctor to some but anecdotal evidence is still evidence. 
The question is would you use it, reference it or just look in if you were injured. I’m not advocating self referral although in Make or Break the author does advise the reader to become an expert. 
Ofcourse the scared medical professional (only the scared) might use their authority to downplay anecdotal evidence but those with open eyes could surely see the benefits of this information. 

this is arguably a question of freedom of information.

Answer the question in the OP instead of muddying the waters. 

facet 08 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

I still don't really understand what you are actually wanting to do,  or are asking?

To help me understand.. as an example, would you want to potentially post how your recovery is going? If this is the case what do you want back? Encouragement to keep going, or just to inform people that you are recovering? 

It's got sweet FA to do with freedom of information. 

facet 08 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

And no I wouldn't use it because I'm then potentially taking advice from an anonymous individual off the internet who may be the leading authority in injury management or a complete wassack, and I'd have no way of knowing ... 

ElArt 09 Dec 2020
In reply to facet:

Yes it would be a record of how recovery goes. 

if people say had tennis elbow or a finger pulley injury they can post when and how it happened then what they are doing to rehab, what they did right and wrong and how long it took to recover.

I suppose there’s a danger of someone posting the wrong advice on there. The reader would have to consider this.

Offwidth 09 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

Maybe look at a site that doesn't archive if that is important for you.

https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/board,4.0.html

facet 09 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

If it could be structured well, organised by injury type/location then it would be interesting. But it may be hard to keep it relevant (if folk go off topic) and hard to cut the wheat from the chaff. 

Marek 09 Dec 2020
In reply to facet:

Even if everyone's on-topic you're still going to struggle with signal-to-noise given that you have little knowledge of the provenance or significance of the data.

There's already masses of information (good and bad) about injury rehab on the web - I'm not sure how this add anything useful other than perhaps a directory of recommended (i.e., climbing knowledgeable) physios etc.

alx 09 Dec 2020
In reply to ElArt:

You really need to think of things in terms of patient benefit.

Ifs, buts and maybe’s aren’t really a substitute for clinical assessment and opinion. 

Also, what are the people going to do with this information, there maybe some anecdotal benefit, there also might be a real danger of further injury. As others have said the internet is full of information, what’s lacking is the training and knowledge to apply it.

This is were you post can anyone name a good <insert allied health professional of choice>.

Happy to talk more outside UKC, I support product development & business cases for new health services and innovations for the NHS.

facet 09 Dec 2020
In reply to Marek:

That's why I struggled with the original post... but was trying to be more supportive in my last post as it's nearly Christmas!

ElArt 10 Dec 2020
In reply to facet:

there’s follow through longer, better posts on UKB. I will use that. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...