UKC

Voodoo flossing, anyone tried it and got results?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SenzuBean 21 Nov 2018

So there are plenty of online resources of what voodoo flossing is. But basically the gist is that you tightly wrap some affected area, e.g. ankle, elbow, finger with that rubber sheeting/bands used for physio, and then you perform range of motion exercises. The goal is to hold all the tendons and muscle close together and close to the bone, and they get much greater friction from the normal stretching and range of motion exercises, which abrades away the scar tissues much better than if they were at their normal spacings.
I've just bought some of the rubber bands and trying it on my ankle which has always been a bit tight after a sprain a few years ago. It certainly felt good, for whatever that's worth.

Here's one dude extolling the virtues for his finger: http://www.hcrbeta.com/climbers-should-experiment-with-voodoo-flossing/

And here's an ankle: youtube.com/watch?v=eJtlcvRAcO4&

Bulls Crack 21 Nov 2018
In reply to SenzuBean:

I want to be a supple leopard yeah! (But remember to take them off if you start to feel claustrophobic. ..presumably if you've wrapped them round your head)

A quick search however does turn up some non err ' Bro science' papers. 

PaulTclimbing 22 Nov 2018
In reply to SenzuBean:

I like the concept of compression as it improves nerve damage and proprioception, whilst healing, I'm led to believe. I once heavily gaffa taped up a very badly twisted/ruptured ankle I could not touch and walked on it immediately gingerly and put up with the pain. The injury improved months faster; did it keep the fluids out? I remembered the lesson and heavily gaffa taped a torn cartilage/strained ligaments in the knee damaged climbing in Ailefroide. after trying swimming pools, ski knee supports etc nothing worked. Walked in and climbed the Barre Couloir (seconded all) slowly, aided by ski poles approach. In both cases it was necessity to firstly to get home and secondly to avoid a disappointment of gaining an injury and not to being able to go climbing.

rogersavery 23 Nov 2018
In reply to SenzuBean:

That sounds like a great way to get inflamed tendons

In reply to SenzuBean:

Struggling to get to grips with the  standard “Floss”, never mind the voodoo version

Seriously, have  seen this wrapping technique as part of  sports massage to help with  tight muscles / flexibility. Seems to  be the  new black. Seems the  jury is out as to how good / bad it is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...