UKC

Wall capacity counters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

http://ukwalls.epizy.com/

I've just blown the cobwebs off this ready for Monday. Might be a thing people use, might not, but anyway, it's a thing.
It's recorded a lot of zeroes in the last few months but seems to be mostly still trucking, which I find pretty amazing for something so half-arsed, flaky and amateurish. It'll probably break as soon as I post this.

John Dunne's lot have rebranded and I think a few have changed whether or not they're working on capacity or pre-booking, so it needed a few minor tweaks and might need a few more. Let me know if your local has a counter and is missing. If it's easy enough I'll do my best to add it.

Si dH 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Are you able to add the Climbing Hangar Sandhills (the other Liverpool one apart from Matchworks)? They had a counter before and I know they are reopening on 12th, so I expect they'll have one again if the other Hangars have.

Ta!

Alkis 09 Apr 2021

One thing that really struck me last time, was seeing the Nottingham Depot at full capacity of something along the lines of 167 people. It was busy but it was nowhere near as busy as it gets, which leads me to the question of how many bloody people do they let in there in normal times? Must be 400-500 or so.

In reply to Si dH:

*should* be reet now. Won't know if I've fat-fingered something until people start checking in but I've thrown it in there. Probably forgotten some critical step because it's ages since I forgot how I made this epic house of cards work when adding a new counter, but we'll find out on Monday.

In reply to Si dH:

Well, good news is my code seems to work. Bad news is their counter is showing "Last updated: 3 days ago". Not much I can do about that. Matchworks is the same unfortunately.

Also, crikey some people were keen this morning.

> Not much I can do about that.

I've added some logic that greys out the lines that have gone stale. Will wait and see what that breaks.

chris_r 12 Apr 2021

Just read your site FAQ. Made me laugh. Thanks!

In reply to Si dH:

Hangar/Matchworks seem to have started working today.

Also added Redpoint Worcester. Not sure how I'd missed that one.

Edit: Congrats, this means you area has enough centres to be worth its own filter: http://ukwalls.epizy.com/?city=Liverpool

Post edited at 08:58
 Steve Mayers 01 May 2021

Feel free to add Roc-Bloc, Cardiff

In reply to Steve Mayers:

I'm away for the weekend but will get on it when I get back

Steve Mayers 01 May 2021

Thanks!

In reply to Steve Mayers:

Added now.
All the best with the reopening. Looking good.

Cobra_Head 04 May 2021

Cheeky I know, but any chance you can put them in alphabetical order?

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Short answer: Nope.

Long answer: Thought about it. Thing is, for some of them it's easy but basically the one-owner-many-walls ones would be a faff to split up because of the way they're just pulled down from the rockgympro pages. Also Oakwood and Flashpoint Swindon (Edit: gone to bookings only now so vanished) are up the top because I wrote this and they're my locals. And also I kinda like that all the Depots are together and all the Parthians are together etc. And the Eden rocks and the works have very different counters that are scraped in a totally different way.
I'll have a think about it and see if I've missed a really simple way to sort, but I don't think it'd be that useful. What I think you actually want is a better way to filter that only shows you the ones you're interested in, not necessarily just by city. If I can come up with a way to remember a preference for that I'll probably do it. Might have to learn about cookies, or generate really long personalised links with loads of &s in them or something.

Post edited at 17:57

"Your account was suspended"

Got slashdotted by the BMC :-/
I guess you get what you pay for with free hosting.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Just had a look, actually it's really easy to sort them. Will see about implementing that when it comes back online.

Cobra_Head 05 May 2021

> Short answer: Nope.

I see not commitment at all here, I am, at the very least, gruntled!

Cobra_Head 05 May 2021

> Just had a look, actually it's really easy to sort them. Will see about implementing that when it comes back online.

That's more like it   Cheers,

Cobra_Head 05 May 2021

> "Your account was suspended"

> Got slashdotted by the BMC :-/

> I guess you get what you pay for with free hosting.

Demand recompense!! Tell them about ALL your disappointed customers.

Post edited at 13:01
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Demand recompense!! Tell them about ALL your disappointed customers.

I mean... if they wanted to host it I'm not precious..........

Should be back up later this afternoon. Don't know how long it'll be until it's banjaxed again. Maybe enough people will have given up and forgotten about it.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

Ok, so...
1) It's back up
2) I made some changes so hopefully it won't piss itself like that again*
3) Made you a special linky: http://ukwalls.epizy.com/?sort=az

*- Now caches results in a SQL thingy**. This means it might load faster, but importantly shouldn't batter the CPU by running curl a bajillion times and get suspended.

**- Never used SQL before today. Not as hard as I thought, but still, had to learn from scratch. I might have made some bad assumptions and instead made things worse. Time will tell.

Cobra_Head 06 May 2021

Yay!!

Yay!!

Beautiful, now if you could just highlight, possible in my favourite colour, the walls I'm interested in, we'll consider your work done.*

SQL is OK when it works, trying to debug it can be a massive PITA. While I've not done a lot of it, I wouldn't want to.

* thanks for your work,

ps you also stated "just for me" and other people have been clicking the link too, at least 18 so far!!

Get your own bloody link, freeloading  bastards!!

Post edited at 15:31
In reply to Cobra_Head:

I did also put the sorting link in among the city filters, so you'll just have to share.
Out of interest, which walls are you interested in? If you let me know your favourite colour and postcode, and I might also need mother's maiden name and what your first pet was called, then I'll get on it

Really though, is there some other geographical grouping that I've missed? I've tried to put in a filter for anywhere that has ~4 within reasonable reach.

Cobra_Head 08 May 2021

> Really though, is there some other geographical grouping that I've missed? I've tried to put in a filter for anywhere that has ~4 within reasonable reach.

I've sent you all the info in a PM, I sent my bank details too, so you can reward me for steering you in the right direction, if you feel that's appropriate.

I think alphabetically is fine, people know where they climb, so I can see it might be nice to have geographically grouped, if you looking for somewhere to climb but we usually have a favourite and stick to that, or a plan B if that's full.

Thanks again.

Pinnacle Northampton is our usual, but Oxford, Warwick or (not on the list) Milton Keynes are alternatives for us.

In reply to Cobra_Head:

I think the most helpful use case is to tell me whether I should be heading east or west, since all my options are equidistant. That's why I reckon the city filters are helpful.

Warwick and Oxford are bookings only, no counters so can't help you with those. But the Big Rocks in MK could be added. They've somehow managed to hide from me until now. I'll do that later.

Post edited at 08:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...