Loading Notifications...

Walls and C19

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Flinticus 14 Sep 2020

Been back to the walls near me.

As a relatively new member of the over 50s, I gotta watch my risk (whereas pre-July I was cavalier & going to illegal woodland raves...) more than ever...I know it doesn't work like that

The climbers at one of the walls, the TCA, have a significantly younger profile than the other and I've noticed a lack of hand washing, distancing etc. and I'm not the only person attending both walls to pick up on this difference, nor are such observations the preserve, or concern, of the 'older climber'. 

So, it's no surprise but welcome, to have received a general email aimed at members to be more attentive to risk mitigation and informing of new stricter requirements around mask wearing. The aim is to prevent virus spread, another lockdown and potential closure of the walls again. Surely something we can all get behind?

What's it like at your wall or walls, if you frequent more than one? Have you noticed a difference if the centre is bouldering focused or roped climbing?

Duncan Bourne 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Went to our Awesome walls last week and it was very good. Admitedly being retired we went midday when it was quiet so plenty of space

Flinticus 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Unfortunately retirement is a long way away still, so my visits cross into the peak times unless I get there early on the weekend. 

During the week then I tend to go to the GCC, which is mainly top rope, auto-belay & lead, and considerably quieter, having always had an older demographic.

In reply to Flinticus:

I'm lucky that I work flexibly and can go during the day.

> The climbers at one of the walls, the TCA, have a significantly younger profile than the other and I've noticed a lack of hand washing, distancing etc. and I'm not the only person attending both walls to pick up on this difference, nor are such observations the preserve, or concern, of the 'older climber'. 

I've noticed selfish and inconsiderate behaviour from those who for whatever reason, don't give a shit. It's an eye opener, I naively though people were better than that.

Flinticus 14 Sep 2020
In reply to Mike Stretford:

I'm inclined to be generous in my assessment! I think its not conscious selfishness in most cases, simply a tendency to fall back to normal behaviour, especially when the environmental cues are largely unchanged from pre-C19, i.e. the bouldering area is unchanged, bar some soap dispensers. In such circumstances, its easy for the mind to slip back into old pathways

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.