UKC

What climbing moves work the abs/core?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Vampire 23 Sep 2018

I climb about once a week. Every now and again I get DOMS in my abs. It doesn't happen everytime like it does with my arms, but sometimes I will get sore abs the next day.

What climbing movements require you to use your abs? I'd like to work my core and abs more and make them stronger and ideally I'd like to do that by climbing because I find the gym boring. I can't work out what moves are doing it for me.

Thanks in advanced!

1poundSOCKS 23 Sep 2018
In reply to Vampire:

> What climbing movements require you to use your abs?

Pretty much everything? Particularly steep stuff with bad feet and toe hooks. Getting your foot onto a high foothold can be as much about core as flexibility.

OP Vampire 23 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Pretty much everything? Particularly steep stuff with bad feet and toe hooks. Getting your foot onto a high foothold can be as much about core as flexibility.

But how come my abs don't feel worked everytime I climb then?

AJM 23 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Keeping your feet on is your back, not abs. Abs help you curl up, not stand tall.

Putting feet back on whilst cutting/swinging and knee bars are the obvious ones I would suggest.

1poundSOCKS 23 Sep 2018
In reply to Vampire:

> But how come my abs don't feel worked everytime I climb then?

Because they work it to it to varying degrees.

1poundSOCKS 23 Sep 2018
In reply to AJM:

> Keeping your feet on is your back, not abs. Abs help you curl up, not stand tall.

Thanks. I was thinking generally more core strength than specifically abs.

kwoods 23 Sep 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Bouldering on a roof on positive holds (Arisaig Cave) is probably the one scenario that my core gives out at the same rate as my arms. Hard to work to failure in other climbing situations, I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...