UKC

/ Which Sheffield wall has the best heating?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kevin stephens - on 05 Feb 2018

I don’t enjoy hot aches as part of my winter training experience 

paul__in_sheffield - on 05 Feb 2018
In reply to kevin stephens:

I hope “none” isn’t going to disappoint you too much......

In reply to paul__in_sheffield:

yes I guessed the answer but no harm in hoping, I guess it's a case of MTFU

Graeme Alderson on 05 Feb 2018
In reply to paul__in_sheffield:

Hey, what about the Mini Works ;-)

Graeme Alderson on 05 Feb 2018

I thought that you were a Broughton bred hard case, a bit of cold never hurt you then!

In reply to Graeme Alderson:

yep but moving from Lancashire to Sheffield has turned me into a right softie

Post edited at 18:46
Sankey - on 05 Feb 2018

The matrix, but probably not big enough to keep most happy.

Jonny on 05 Feb 2018

Hot aches from coming in from the cold? Sounds like you want the worst heating...

paul__in_sheffield - on 05 Feb 2018
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I need to finish the Wasps on the main wall. It’s cold Graeme. Cold.

In reply to Jonny:

Hot aches come after pulling on very cold holds, if we can have LEDs on Moon boards then why not heated holds?

Jonny on 05 Feb 2018

Warmer holds, or colder air around them. Traditionally, the Sheffield solution would be the latter!

Jenny C on 05 Feb 2018

Foundry has heaters, but if left on for long enough to warm the building through they make it uncomfortably hot for climbing. Being self contained the cafe is usually warmer than than the climbing halls. 

deepsoup - on 05 Feb 2018

As above, Mini-Works is warmer than the Works.  Matrix is way too warm most of the year, so a great alternative for the odd session when it's just about right, and baltic everywhere else.

Foundry and AW both get rather chilly (AW particularly, just because the place is so vast), but both have warm cafes to retreat from the cold and warm up.

The Works has the one big heater that pleasantly toasts the top of your head in the vicinity of the comfy sofas, but when it's breezy out that can lead to barely suppressed murderous rage towards people who insist on holding the door open and letting an icy blast in.

pleasantly and surprisingly warm evening at AW tonight once I warmed up.  new circuit board is great, as is the re-set one at the Works.  Pleasant tunes at both venues too, unlike the horrendous noise at Foundry last Thursday.  Maybe the walls could publish play lists in advance so that I can plan my training to avoid crap sounds?

We are very lucky to have such problems to worry about, not like 35 years ago when we had to drive 50 miles for chilled brickwork in a former squash court with no heating

Jenny C on 05 Feb 2018

Not sure about other walls but if you ask at reception the Foundry staff will take music requests. Can't please everyone but if it's horrendous ask for something else. 

olddirtydoggy - on 05 Feb 2018

Climb harder and faster.

In reply to Jenny C:

Brilliant thanks Jenny, I'll take along my CD collection of Beethoven's later string quartets

Jonny on 06 Feb 2018

Last time I was at the Foundry they dropped some excellent techno cuts in true Sheffield style (Black Dog, I think it was). Shame you weren't they when they had this DJ. Shorts and t-shirt warm too despite it snowing outside.

Jenny C on 06 Feb 2018

They use spotify, so no need for the CDs - I'm more of a Wagner girl ;-) 

JamieSparkes - on 06 Feb 2018

Perhaps wear more clothes while you're there to keep your core warm? After all, it's a lot more socially acceptable for you to do that than for me to take off any more layers and still be allowed in! 

stp - on 07 Feb 2018

A good question given that it feels like it's been an exceptionally long and drawn out winter. Even the 'warm' days have been chilly. And not just cold but damp too.

I think the Climbing Works is possibly the worst. The techy style of setting there means you can't throw yourself at stuff so easily. I find I get warmer on the lead walls. One hard-ish pumpy route and I'm warm for the rest of the session - as long as I don't rest too long between tries.

AsleepOnBelay on 12 Feb 2018

Good grief, just zoom round an easy circuit or do easy problems in between harder ones.

Last thing we need is climbing walls with heaters everywhere. Anyone else start greasing off at Awesome Walls in Sheffield near the top when you got closer to the massive lamps (which I think have changed to LED)?

I've been enjoying the Works on the colder days, only way to get some of those harder wasps done!

thepodge on 12 Feb 2018

Works had heaters on and windows open on Thurs... covering all the options.

AndyPagett - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to thepodge:

At a guess heaters on in attempt to keep some amount of warmth going on inside, and windows open for fresh air exchange. Heaters on a windows closed would I imagine result in too much humidity inside, greasy holds etc.

BedRock - on 12 Feb 2018

Just be greatful you dont have to climb at Ratho.

Jimbo C - on 12 Feb 2018

Seriously? Just be grateful there are walls and a roof to keep the wind chill down and the rain off.

morphomouse - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to AsleepOnBelay:

Agree. Love it when the low friction plastic holds actually feel grippy in the cold. I'm probably not the only one dreading the greasy hell of indoor walls in the summer. Be nice not to have to wear a down jacket indoors to warm up though.

deepsoup - on 12 Feb 2018
In reply to AndyPagett:

> At a guess heaters on in attempt to keep some amount of warmth going on inside, and windows open for fresh air exchange.

Close.  Heaters on in an attempt to keep some amount of warmth going on inside, and windows open because those who object to the place not being baltic and don't give a shit if the rest of us are freezing keep going around opening them all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.