/ Winter sun reachable by Train

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
mutt 13 Feb 2020

Winter Sun destinations appear to be somewhat too distant for CO2 free travel. I've found Russan to be a good prospect that can be reached by train. Can anyone else suggest good winter destinations for the environmentally aware?

smbnji 13 Feb 2020
In reply to mutt:

Well that depends on how long you're willing to travel.. Regardless there's some great options for journey planning here: https://www.seat61.com/

AJM 13 Feb 2020
In reply to mutt:

Having had similar thoughts, although with an assumption of a hire car at the far end - not sure if you are also assuming this - I had assumed that the stuff around Orgon, Seynes/Russan/Claret, Buoux, maybe some of the stuff round Monaco, perhaps St Leger, should all be reasonably near Avignon or the spurs of the train line that go to Nines/Montpelier in one direction or to Marseilles/Aix/Nice in the other. I looked at seat61 in the past and I thought they all looked within a (long, sometimes!) day travel from London

Derek Furze 13 Feb 2020
In reply to smbnji:

Great link thanks.  Clearly easier if you are based near London, but impressive journey times really.  Probably a good deal more interesting than airports, cramped planes and transfers

smbnji 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

For sure, I went down to Marrakech and the Atlas mountains over the summer without flying. It's a lovely way to travel.

Dave Garnett 14 Feb 2020
In reply to mutt:

There’s a station in Barnstaple I think!

john arran 14 Feb 2020
In reply to mutt:

Overnight trains run from Paris directly to Tarascon-sur-Ariège - the little town in the centre of Ariège climbing. Depending on where you choose to stay nearby, there may be plenty of climbing accessible on foot. Around Chez Arran there are half a dozen or so crags within easy walking distance and a whole lot more crags easily accessible by bikes available for cheap hire.

mutt 14 Feb 2020
In reply to mutt:

great suggestions. Thanks. The Man in seat 61 is awesome.

seankenny 14 Feb 2020
In reply to AJM:

> Having had similar thoughts, although with an assumption of a hire car at the far end - not sure if you are also assuming this - I had assumed that the stuff around Orgon, Seynes/Russan/Claret, Buoux, maybe some of the stuff round Monaco, perhaps St Leger, should all be reasonably near Avignon or the spurs of the train line that go to Nines/Montpelier in one direction or to Marseilles/Aix/Nice in the other. I looked at seat61 in the past and I thought they all looked within a (long, sometimes!) day travel from London

I've done a train trip to Buis les Baronnie and Buoux, getting off at Avignon and picking up a hire car. It is a very easy day trip from London, I think we had picked up the car by about 4pm and we didn't start particularly early. The biggest faff is crossing Paris but it might be possible to avoid that if you change somewhere else - Lille maybe? I'm not sure.

Is Russan any good? Looked a bit short last iirc from a brief look at the guide.

AJM 14 Feb 2020
In reply to seankenny:

I went there years ago, but I recall a load of reasonably long stuff on the upper tier on the left (facing in). Regrettably I don’t seem to have logged anything in terms of routes to identify the sectors I was at, but I thought it was fairly decent in terms of 6a/b sort of wall climb stuff at that bit. Less sure about harder stuff.

If I were planning a trip now, Seynes is probably higher on my list (and Buoux, of course), but you could probably do both from a single base, the roads aren’t fast but they aren’t that far apart.

edit: I was there on Adrian’s research trip for the Rockfax guide, so if there are pictures in the guide there’d be moderate chance it was in the vague area of the crag that I was climbing.

Post edited at 19:51

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.