/ Working as an Indoor Climbing Assistant

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Mountain Spirit 13 Aug 2019

Hi

Does anyone work as an Indoor Climbing Assistant?

I am trained as one and I have a certificate from Mountain Training but no wall was contacted me yet. I have contacted a few walls but they have not got back to me.

I am willing to work with individual people who hold the relevant NGB qualifications. I am also looking for some coaching work as I am doing my Foundation Coach Award and can work with Development Coaches and Foundation Coaches. 

I can be contacted through here. 

Bye 

Sav

The Jazz Butcher 14 Aug 2019
In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Certificates and qualifications are not a guarantee of employment. Employers are looking for a range of attributes from any prospective employee; experience, ability, personal qualities etc.

Perhaps visit the climbing walls in person, if you haven't done so already, and introduce yourself to the manager / hiring person. Try and get across why they should employ you instead of the possibly large number of other potential assistants / instructors.

Are the climbing walls in question actually seeking new staff at the moment? It may be nothing to do with your application, it's simply that they are all currently fully staffed.

Have you tried asking to observe sessions at walls you are interested in working at? Make yourself the first person a manager thinks of when needing an assistant instructor. A lot of this type of work is part time and freelance and you need to become known by a range of walls as someone who they can use at possibly quite short notice.

TJB.

tjdodd 14 Aug 2019

I am no expert so might be wrong but from what I have seen at walls and from posts on this forum it will take time.  You need to look out for walls advertising positions. Get on their Facebook pages as this is most likely where they will advertise. My guess is you will have to start working on reception and this for probably longer than you would like. You will need patience. You can then get the relevant qualifications and most importantly build up trust with the centre. Over time you will then hopefully be given experience, initially with inductions, then basic coaching and so on. 

It is also likely to be competitive. There are lots of young very good climbers looking for such work. And my guess is the pay is not great.

Oceanrower 14 Aug 2019

Unfortunately I can't think of  single use for a climbing assistant. Walls want people who you can give a group to and they take them off for a session. Where's the advantage to the wall having two people doing the job one can do perfectly well.

As I understand it you would be unable to work unsupervised so it wouldn't even change the instructor ratio.

Genuine question. What does this qualification offer to the wall?

Mountain Spirit 14 Aug 2019
In reply to The Jazz Butcher:

Hi.

I have asked at some walls in person about this. I am not sure if they are recruiting at the moment and I'm not sure how many walls in London know about the scheme.

When I was looking to get the five sessions I needed to do the FCA assessment I asked many walls about observing/shadowing but the majority needed atleast CWI training.

I do have one possibility and that is helping out with NIBAS at a new Lakeland Climbing Centre group wall near me. 

Bye

Sav

In reply to tjdodd:

Hi

As soon as I read your post I started to look at the FB pages of climbing walls to see if they had any vacancies.

I agree with you on all points.

Sav

Post edited at 12:35
In reply to Oceanrower:

Yes I will be unable to work unsupervised.

To answer your question.... 

Ability to mentor less experienced staff who aim for CWI or above and also ability to increase ratios for wall with one qualified to one ICA. 

Bye

Sav

Oceanrower 14 Aug 2019

Interesting.

From the Mountain Training website.

"Indoor Climbing Assistants are not qualified to manage groups independently"

I took that to mean you can't work unsupervised.

In reply to Oceanrower:

I agree 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.