UKC

Advice on taping axe shafts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jayhigh 19 Sep 2013
What do people use for taping the shafts of their axes for some extra grip?

I've got Matrix Techs, so am lacking much of a higher rest on the shaft - I figured some tape would help. I've looked at self amalgamating tape and hockey stick grip tape - is there any difference?
 Martin Wing 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:
Self amalgamating tape is exactly the same as what petzl sell. Just alot cheaper.
 Nick Harvey 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: I have used self amalagamating and skateboard decking. The latter being like sandpaper and as grippy as you'd expect but cold and also peels or chips off quite easily (so I wouldn't bother and am not sure why I mention it really). I think there was a thread a while back discussing the merits of various makes of SA tape.
matejn 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: Just don't use hockey stick grip tape.
 alooker 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: plumbers self amalgamating tape works for me
 Milesy 19 Sep 2013
DMM have their own branded stuff. I don't need the grip with my gloves, but it really helps in sub zero temps when the shafts are freezing and you need to dagger up slopes. The cold comes through most of my gloves on contact still.
 top cat 19 Sep 2013
I'm about to use non slip shrink wrap, assuming it has arrived in the post when I get home.

I'll let you know how it goes.
 dek 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Martin Wing:
> (In reply to Jayhigh)
> Self amalgamating tape is exactly the same as what petzl sell. Just alot cheaper.

Ditto: Screwfix version for about a fiver, a roll will cover at least 4 axe shafts.
 iksander 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/476/psp-grip-kit

Grippy as skate tape, but not as brittle and stronger than SA tape (which nicks, peels and rolls easily). Leave it on a warm radiator for half an hour before applying as otherwise it doesn't stretch much when wrapping around bends.

or I have heard good things about plastidip, but never tried it myself
 D.Russell 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:
wrap climbing tape around the shaft then coat it in plasti dip
 DH3631 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: I have the Petzl stuff on mine, I remember it being a bit pricey, but have to say that it has worked very well and hasn't shown any real signs of peeling or cracking. That's not to say cheaper alternatives aren't as good though. One roll of the Petzl stuff should be enough to add extra grips to a pair of axes, about the same size as the existing bottom grips.
OP Jayhigh 19 Sep 2013
Self amalgamating tape it will be then.

Many thanks to all.
 top cat 19 Sep 2013
In reply to top cat:
> I'm about to use non slip shrink wrap, assuming it has arrived in the post when I get home.
>
> I'll let you know how it goes.

I've just done the job with stunning results. Anything else is just amateur DIY.

SA tape will be better if you want to reshape the shaft at the same time.
I don't know if you could shrink wrap over SA tape though.

I've done my tech tools, walking axes and shaft of snow shovel.

Got the shrink wrap off ebay, just search for non slip shrink wrap......50mm for tech tools (to get over the handles), 40mm for everything else.

JohnnyW 19 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:

Hmm, just done my T rated walking axe as it had shed it's handle through years of use. Used the skateboard stuff, and I'm not confident. Will maybe need to look at the shrink stuff
 Sharp 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: Bike inner tube works quite well if you can get it on your axe
 JohnnyW 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Sharp:
> (In reply to Jayhigh) Bike inner tube works quite well if you can get it on your axe

I thought of something similar, but won't it roll up when plunging? My issue is that it's my mountaineering axe, and on long days spent plunging (Mont Blanc, alpine 4000ers etc), it was rolling up, and the creating an obstruction to self-belay.
I cut off the loose, leaving the bottom inches bare, but it just happened again.
As I said, I used skateboard stuff off my sons, but I'm not confident.
 Lew13 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:

Sugru is good albeit expensive.

Mountain biking tape is also good.

Finger tape does the job too.
fil-p 20 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: as said earlier, plasti dip is awesome stuff. Coated the shafts on my forces and nomics and it lasts a lot longer than SA tape
 climber david 21 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh:

remember to wrap from the bottom up so that the overlapping edges are down. This means the tape will be less likely to roll off when you pull down

David
 Sharp 21 Sep 2013
In reply to JohnnyW: There's already stuff on my handles so when I used it it was just to cover higher up the axe. I eperimented with wrapping the tubes round it last year and it felt great but peeled off on one during a long daggering session. I might try and glue it on this year.
 Harry Holmes 22 Sep 2013
In reply to Jayhigh: I have tried loads of things to tape my axes. I primarily use it so that I can bit my axes, but I also like it being a little bit soft to hold on to.
Squash/badminton tape is rubbish. It just slips down and isnt very hard wearing although it is good to bite/hold.
Bike handle bar tape is good. Its not as soft as the above but it is still pretty good. I did find it abit slippy though, but im sure this varies between makes.
Finger tape is ok but isnt soft and does look a bit dirty after a while. It doesn't get slippy when wet, although it isnt very stick to begin with.
I currently have plasti dip on my axes, which I dont like. It is pretty hard and is heavy and slippy. I have made some cuts in it now though to give it a bit more friction but I cant recommend it.
I think I will go back to finger tape when I find a way to remove the plasti dip.
I hope that helps.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...