UKC

Arrochar Alps Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 STWright 11 Feb 2014
Just wondering if anyone has been around Arrochar lately? Thinking of heading over that way tomorrow.

Also any ice in condition?

Cheers, Si.
 Craigie17 11 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

Was on the Cobbler on Saturday. Plenty of snow, but all very wet, and crags were black to the summits. Not aware of a decent freeze since then (although I have been in London yesterday and today) so would suggest looking somewhere further north and higher for some sport.

Andy Moles 11 Feb 2014
In reply to Craigie17:

> Not aware of a decent freeze since then

I think there's been a decent enough freeze actually, the low hills around the Clyde are white today.

neeza 11 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

Was on the Cobbler on Saturday also, done Chockstone gully pretty soft most of the way then went up great gully pretty good neve higher up ,snow down to about 150m down here in Port Glasgow temp -2 at moment so could be ok for Arrochar tomorrow
OP STWright 11 Feb 2014
In reply to neeza122:

Thanks for the info team, I think we'll head there due to the horrendous avi risk up north.

Si
 Nic DW 11 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

0 C and snowing on the eastern outskirts of glasgow so i'd say a freeze up there was almost a given
 zebidee 14 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

Anyone know what the conditions are like now? Was thinking of heading there on Sunday since the forecast isn't too bad.

http://www.mwis.org.uk/wh.php?fdate=140216
 Willismorris 25 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

anyone been up the cobbler recently? anything in condition, anyone got any photos?
In reply to boseow25:

It's too warm for Cobbler, crag won't be frozen!!!!!!

Stuart
 Willismorris 25 Feb 2014
more thinking of a walk tomore than a climb! just wandering what conditions are like for ease of access!
In reply to boseow25:

I was on it last Tuesday early morning,tons of snow to the Narnain Boulders
Ascent was very hard work sinking into every step was 5 degrees in the car park at 7am, noone else bothered to hit the hill a few turned back at boulders was a 0viz day I went to look at great gully decided to slog up to the summit and boy was it a slog in soft wet snow with no viz, descended the col And did great gully, was a swim midstep surprisingly had a little ice
Otherwise wasn't in decent nic,the descent back down was harder than the ascent sinking to my baws and falling over more than I can ever remember

Had a cracking day took my jetboil for a coffee at the Dam talking to 3 old dears when the sun came out and the clag lifted Typical!
 Jon Wylie 27 Feb 2014
In reply to STWright:

Hi, just wondering if anyone has been up to the cobbler for a walk over the last couple of days. Looks a bit colder tomorrow and I wondered what the cover was like for climbing?

Cheers

Jon
 Andy Moles 28 Feb 2014
In reply to Jon Wylie:

Took a punt on the Cobbler today. There's plenty of snow alright, but the freezing level went above the summit as we arrived and things got pretty drippy. Buried turf is unfrozen too.
 allanscott 01 Mar 2014
In reply to STWright:

Just back from The Cobbler. Gave a good day out. Loads of people on the hill but ground remains unfrozen beneath the snow which is in pretty awful nick. Lots of falling over in deep soft stuff. Ice? What ice?
In reply to allanscott:

Even in primo nick, won't find much ice on Cobbler, not that kind o' crag! Is thre much fresh snow then?

Stuart
 allanscott 01 Mar 2014
In reply to Stuart the postie:

No but there were a couple of light showers this afternoon. Crags pretty well hidden by cloud. As I said ground is not frozen so any thaw will just strip away snow at this level.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...