UKC

Ben Nevis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rossn 06 May 2013
Anybody know what the Ben is looking like at the moment? Are the large cornices which topped of the likes of Smith's Route etc still in place or have they collapsed? I assume the big easier gully climbs are still complete.

Thanks,
RN
 Webster 20 May 2013
In reply to rossn: I would assume judging from affar that there is still tons of snow and potentially some ice left on the ben, I could see it from Glencoe this weekend and even the south side looked very white down to around 1000m, I would expect allot more snow on the north side.
 DaveHK 20 May 2013
In reply to rossn:

Pretty much easy gullies only as of yesterday. Can't speak for Smiths but there were only a few small isolated patches of ice in Coire na Ciste yesterday.
 chiz 20 May 2013
In reply to DaveHK: Cheers, any idea how the major ridges look -specifically NE, Observatory and Tower? Much old snow?
 AlH 20 May 2013
In reply to chiz: Ken was up there earlier today and tweeted that crampons were useful from Eastern Traverse on Tower Ridge onwards he might blog it later: http://www.applemountaineering.co.uk/blog/
 chiz 20 May 2013
In reply to AlH: cheers, that's the kind of info I'm after, not up til next week so can all change, but all useful
 DaveHK 20 May 2013
In reply to chiz:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) Cheers, any idea how the major ridges look -specifically NE, Observatory and Tower? Much old snow?

On Sunday the ridges looked like wet rock with soft snow in between.

KA 20 May 2013
In reply to chiz: Will blog tomorrow morning.
 BruceM 21 May 2013
In reply to rossn:
Briliant alpine day up No 5 gully (completely filled down to scree) and along CMD on Sunday. Castle R certainly clear. NE looks white around 40ft corner area. Was very alpine feel with a few large crashes through the mist during the day as hanging glaciers dumped seracs...well sounded like that. Then about 5pm all cleared to amazing blue and big heat.
redsonja 28 May 2013
In reply to rossn: what are conditions like on ledge route?
 CurlyStevo 28 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:
were you hoping for rock or snow?
redsonja 28 May 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: rock
 Jamie B 28 May 2013
In reply to heidi123:

Not been on it recently, but it tends to thaw out pretty early, with the exception of the approach up No.5 Gully which isn't steep. Obviously this isn't first-hand, but I'd be surprised if you felt the need for winter kit.
 AlH 28 May 2013
In reply to rossn: It was climbed without use of axe or crampons with a little soft snow on 17th May and it has thawed a good bit since then. I expect that the approach up No. 5 would be on snow so best not to go on that after a cold night without being ready for firm spring snow though.The approach can feel steep enough if its firm and you aren't prepared. Tales of summer climbers descending and cutting steps with sharp rocks abound!
 Gawyllie 06 Jun 2013
In reply to rossn: anyone know how much snow is about in the corries still?

looking to get on rock and wondering if the Ben is still out
 AlH 06 Jun 2013
In reply to punj: Pics from last weekend on http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk . Mostly dry and sunny this week so should be little change except its been drying. Routes on Carn Dearg away from the big seep on Route 2 were looking dry last sunday.
 Ron Walker 06 Jun 2013
In reply to punj:

Still lots of snow in the big gullies looking at the photos but what do you expect it's only June... See https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.531660056869520.1073741962.100000...
 Gawyllie 06 Jun 2013
In reply to rossn: perfect, cheers
 Richard Baynes 08 Jun 2013
In reply to AlH: Al, you know the thing about things that look like Hitler? That house and the kettle ad? Well the little badge/logo thing on the top right of your blog page has turned into Adolf and now I can't see it as anything else ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...