UKC

Ben Nevis camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pete1993 07 Jan 2013
I'm planning on camping under the north face of Ben Nevis in late January and was wondering whether anyone had any advice on where is best place to pitch is?

Thanks
 radioshed 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993: Under the wind turbine, stops you sleeping in
 StuartCJones 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993: it's a grim position to camp at that time of year. I'd recommend sleeping in the van in the North Face car park.
Simon Wells 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993:

Flat piece of ground at the back of the CIC hut, yep, its under the wind turbine.

To be honest the path is pretty good now and the quality of life would be higher in the car park. I have camped / snowholed on the Ben, but at weekends tend to sleep in the carpark.
 DaveHK 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993:

Most people will only do this once. Have fun.
In reply to pete1993:

I used to camp on a good flat bit, on the left of the path, a good 5 mins or so beneath the hut. I have seen others camp here too, there used to be piles of rocks/walls to shelter tents.

It's a worthwhile experience, then after spending a few days damp, miserable, bored at night, you'll probably settle for the 1.30 walk from the car!!

Fast and light is right.

Stuart
OP pete1993 07 Jan 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie: i know it'll be damp and miserable, but we are students so don't have a car, so staying up there seems like the best bet!
 BenTiffin 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993: Nice spot over the rock ridge towards Coire na Ciste and on the left.
Removed User 07 Jan 2013
In reply to pete1993: keep on past the cic hut to (almost) the foot of CMD arete-give access to Brenva face and also means you start the day walking down to your climb!
 Jamie B 07 Jan 2013
In reply to BenTiffin:

> Nice spot over the rock ridge towards Coire na Ciste and on the left.

That's where I'd camp, sleeping underneath a giant turbine (which has been known to throw blades) always seemed a bit silly...

But to be honest, there is very little advantage in a high camp unless conditions are dry and stable. It's only an hour and a half to walk in on the new path, meaning that you can dry out and get a much better kip in the valley.

In reply to BenTiffin:
> (In reply to pete1993) Nice spot over the rock ridge towards Coire na Ciste and on the left.

Another vote for this spot. Camped in winter here several times. Fine as long as you stay dry during the day.

Theseboots 08 Jan 2013
In reply to BenTiffin:
> (In reply to pete1993) Nice spot over the rock ridge towards Coire na Ciste and on the left.

Agreed-camped there last Jan/Feb-great time.If snow is deep,take shovel and dig out your position.Obviously need good tent,pole fractured on my Quasar in pretty fierce winds.Well worth it for early starts and short walk-ins.Took us good hour to pack up,so allow for that.
Good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...