UKC

Ben Nevis conditions - no. 3 gully in particular

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 19 Nov 2019

Considering a trip up the Ben this Sunday (Nov 24th) to do number three gully. Anyone know what current conditions are like? Noticed a few have recorded climbs up other routes in the past week. Thanks in advance

TobyA 19 Nov 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Join the scottish winter conditions facebook group. Do you mean the gully itself? People have been climbing the mixed routes above like Gargoyle Wall and the like so presumably there is snow up the gully. How soft it is though I don't know.

OP DizzyVizion 19 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

The forecast looks like it may be a steady freeze for the next few days; some snow fall tonight into tomorrow morning then light patches on and off. Perhaps number 4 gully would be a better option with it being graded slightly lower than number 3. Thanks Toby

TobyA 19 Nov 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

The only thing that would stop in No.3 is avalanche conditions I would have thought, and if that's an issue there it will round the corner in No.4 too. If the snow is firm, then No.2 Gully feels more like a climb, No.3 is just walking really.

mattierd 19 Nov 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Was there last Friday and the whole coire and no.3 does not have a lot of snow or any base.  Powder over the scree, not the most pleasant walking.  Saw a party do one pitch at the top on no3.  As previous reply says go on FB for conditions, there is a photo of the corrie from this afternoon on there now.

Post edited at 20:31
 Jackob 21 Nov 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

I down climbed No.3 gully on tuesday. It is absolutely categorically not a walk at the moment with some steep sections of probably grade III

Post edited at 10:49
OP DizzyVizion 21 Nov 2019
In reply to Jackob:

Thanks Jackob. Instead we'll head for SCNL via zigzags to go up Dorsal Arete and hopefully down Broad Gully. Cheers

iainJ 22 Nov 2019
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Unless there's been a change since the weekend, scnl is looking very black. 

DaveHK 22 Nov 2019
In reply to TobyA:

>  No.3 is just walking really.

Because of how the cornice forms No.3 often has a pretty steep section at the top.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...