UKC

Best shop for mountaineering boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 roym 06 Oct 2019

Looking to invest in new B3s and want to try on as many as possible. Looking for recommendations for the shops with the biggest range and best advice. Boots in mind are La Sportiva G2, Scarpa Phantom tech, La Sportiva Nepal extreme. Thanks!

tjdodd 06 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

Where are you based?

Peak District - Outside

Lake District - Lots of choice including Needle Sports

North Wales - Joe Brown

Scotland - not sure

If you are England based then a trip to the Lakes would be my recommendation.  Lots of shops in close proximity.

Graeme G 06 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

As above depends where you’re based. Why not google what your looking for then look for local shops which stock them.

Likely national stockists - Ellis-Brigham, Tiso, Cotswolds, Nevisport, Snow and Rock, GO Outdoors.....the list is endless 

Post edited at 19:14
OP roym 06 Oct 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

Cheers for the recommendations.

Based in Leeds/Hull but happy to drive. My first thought was needlesport but online they don't have the biggest range, only La Sportiva I think. Outside was another thought.

Wanted to know anyone with on the ground knowledge of which would have the best range

Graeme G 06 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

The best mountaineering boots are the ones that fit. You’re right to shop around and try as many as you can, but you’ll find different shops only stock certain brands. So the only way you’ll get a solid idea of what’s available is to shop around.

Dave the Rave 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

> The best mountaineering boots are the ones that fit. You’re right to shop around and try as many as you can, but you’ll find different shops only stock certain brands. So the only way you’ll get a solid idea of what’s available is to shop around.

Kinelll! The answers in the original question

Graeme G 06 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Kinelll! The answers in the original question

???

Post edited at 21:22
 tjdodd 06 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

I'd check all the lakes shops online to find out who has what then take a weekend trip over. Bit of shopping combined with some walking/scrambling/climbing. Keswick and Ambleside shops should cover most brands. 

Misha 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

Cotswolds, S&R and GO O have limited ranges and the staff... well, you can imagine. Small independent retailers are best. Outside, Joe Browns / Climbers Shop, V12 are the ones that spring to mind. A few in Aviemore as well.

Joe Browns stock both Scrapa and La Sportiva. Not sure if they have the winter range available yet. Worth looking at the less prominent brands as well, if you can find stockists!

Graeme G 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Misha:

> Cotswolds, S&R and GO O ..... and the staff... well, you can imagine. Small independent retailers are best.

Very judgy. And ‘IMO’

I have no issues with the staff in any of the shops I’ve ever used nor the ranges they stock. Maybe that’s just me.

GStone 07 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

My local Cotswold outdoors has a very knowledgeable bloke (the manager) who goes mountaineering himself. You just have to pick a day when he’s working. From my experience there is always one knowledgeable person in each store. They can also order in any boot they don’t stock. Plus you get 15% BMC discount.

Graeme G 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

Two down votes! Seriously? That’s made my day I can’t imagine what you could possibly have disliked about my previous post. 

oldie 07 Oct 2019
In reply to GStone:

When I've looked for new boots in I've found a huge variation in quality of advice between members of staff especially in the big chains. If someone with little knowledge is unlucky enough to be served by a persuasive know-all then they could easily end up with the wrong buy. In S and R I got different advice from three different members of staff (I have to say much of it was useful but it didn't all come from one person). IMHO if one has the time its worth visiting several shops and on different occasions and looking at reviews and forums between (I'm a miserly pensioner so this is easy for me!). I also once found a boot I wanted was also made in half sizes but not stocked or offered by that store (only discovered it when looking on internet).

galpinos 07 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

Outside have Scarpa, La Sportiva, Salewa, Boreal and Hanwag.

Dave the Rave 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

> ???

The poster was after some shop recommendations))))

Misha 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

The staff a probably better in some shops than others but the range is limited, that's a fact. I didn't 'dislike' your response by the way.

Graeme G 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Is Kinell a shop? Sorry, just never heard of it. Must be one of the few, I must have bought stuff from everyone else.

Graeme G 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Misha:

> The staff a probably better in some shops than others but the range is limited, that's a fact. I didn't 'dislike' your response by the way.

Oh definitely agree with that. I just wanted the OP not to discount big nationals. They can be hit and miss, like everywhere else. And no bother re:the dislikes. I was genuinely tickled

OP roym 07 Oct 2019
In reply to shuffle:

Not heard of this shop before, looks good. Do you have experience of their fitting service?

bouldery bits 07 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

George Fisher or Needlesports in Keswick.

The Climbers shop or Epicentre in Ambleside.

Johnhi 08 Oct 2019
In reply to bouldery bits:

Last time I checked, George fisher only have trangos, not worth a visit unless your after the returns policy.

shuffle 08 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

Not personally, but I know a few folk who have and recommend. It is where I'll be heading next time I need new boots. 

Dave the Rave 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

> Is Kinell a shop? Sorry, just never heard of it. Must be one of the few, I must have bought stuff from everyone else.

Yeah. I owe you an apology. I missed your post suggesting shops as I was busy thinking of a troll.

I am sorry Graeme. 

Graeme G 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave

> I am sorry Graeme

Unnecessary, but graciously accepted. I’ve been on UKC long enough to know threads invariably go off at tangents and end up in fights, for no apparent reason.

Dave the Rave 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Graeme G:

> In reply to Dave the Rave

> Unnecessary, but graciously accepted. I’ve been on UKC long enough to know threads invariably go off at tangents and end up in fights, for no apparent reason.

Thanks

hpil 08 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

i went to Si at mountain feet after moving from scarpa vegas to nepal extreme evos and finding my feet murdered. Si knows his way round boots - measured up my size sitting down & standing up and width as well. Turns out my feet are too wide for nepals and more suited to scarpas, and also that they spread a bit when standing. Even then it depends on the particular scarpa last used on the particular boot model - i've found the old Mont Blancs and the old (blue / silver) charmoz fit me well. Some of the other scarpas - rebels maybe? - talk about power concentrated around the toe, which suggests squished in toe box so not so comfy for wider feet... Long story short a) mountain feet well recommended and b) theres a few other posts on UKC about boot fitting - have a search. See if you can find places that hire the boots for a day - Ellis Brigham in Aviemore i think hires.

Good luck!

hpil 08 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

oh, and what B3s were you using previously, how was the fit on those etc?

Tim Davies 09 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

Local Cotswold in Betws had a decent range of mountaineering boots and the last few times I’ve been in I’ve received excellent advice from their staff. Better than the other shops in the area.  

Sean Kelly 09 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

I've always used Lawrie's shop in Kensington. Boots made to measure and a wide choice of nailing patterns!

steveej 10 Oct 2019
In reply to roym:

A quick trip over to Cham will get you the best selection.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...