UKC

BMC Lakes turf monitors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 17 Jan 2019

Does anybody know what's up with BMC's turf monitors in the Lakes? Great End still isn't online - someone from the BMC discussed that a few weeks ago although I thought they said they were hoping to get it fixed soon?  But now the Red Tarn one is playing up too - and hasn't updated since yesterday.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

Idwal is running fine and the the trend lines are in the right direction for the weekend!

In fact is there anyone interested in trying something high up and mixed this weekend who, like me, doesn't have a partner? I can potentially do a day trip to either the Lakes or North Wales. Looks like the Welsh hills might get more snow tomorrow although the temperatures at 8-900 mtrs in the Lakes might be lower over the weekend.

Rob Dyer, BMC 17 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,

Good questions and frustrating that we're having technical issues with both sites at the same time.

Re: Great End - we thought we had solved the issues with that system however there now looks to be an issue with the phone line to where we connect to the internet in Seathwaite, which is preventing the data from uploading to our web page. We're trying to resolve that at the moment but it's taking some time and is out of our hands to some extent as we are very kindly allowed to tag onto a residential internet link rather than it being owned by the BMC.

Re: Helvellyn - the problems with this system are proving harder to diagnose as data is getting through sporadically. We thought this might be down to the battery running out at the repeater station and the signal occasionally getting through when atmospheric conditions allow the signal from the sensor to reach further than normal. (The repeater station bounces the signal from the crag down to Glenridding as it's normally too far to make it otherwise, and Glenridding is the nearest internet uplink.) However I was on site yesterday with a BBC film crew and whilst there had a chance to visit both the sensor and repeater site to check on the kit and see if the batteries needed replacing. The battery at the repeater station was still showing as full and all kit appeared intact and in good order so there's no obvious reason why it shouldn't be working.

I'm not an expert in radio systems so can't really give any more info on Helvellyn at this stage. I'm currently waiting to hear back from the guys who have designed the kit to see what our next steps are, but rest assured we want to get it back up and running as soon as possible! Watch this space...

Cheers,
Rob

In reply to TobyA:

PS - as of yesterday the turf wasn't even close to being frozen at the sensor site, more soft and squidgy. Although things can change fairly quickly with a cold snap, no insulating snow on the ground and reasonably high water content turf, but it will be something of a gamble at the moment. It's certainly not a 'don't even think about it' situation, but definitely be prepared to turn around if you do make the trip and find turf unfrozen on arrival

OP TobyA 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Cheers Rob, and I didn't want to sound like I was moaning, but it is a hugely useful service particularly as we rare-habitat protection responsibilities in the Lakes, rather than just purely good-sporting ethics responsibilities (don't rip off wet turf and leave others with nothing to climb).

Had the air temps even gone below 0 yesterday? It should be freezing now higher up, and all day tomorrow, so fingers crossed the turf will freeze up by the weekend. Graham Umney and the others in the Fell Top assessment team I'm sure will make a note of it in their reports. 

In reply to TobyA:

I was with Graham too and I seem to remember him saying he was getting a reading of 3 or 4 degrees ambient air temperature at Red Tarn, colder on top and obviously colder with windchill but that will all be in his fell top assessor report. It certainly felt fairly cold in the wind on the east side of the tarn where the film crew based themselves, but on the headwall itself it was pretty sheltered from the wind and so felt quite a bit warmer. If that wind swings round onto the face that would help freeze things up of course.

Post edited at 17:36
 John Kelly 17 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

My wife is delighted, I can no longer update her as to the temperature on top of Helvellyn, still the cairngorms.

neil.loydon 17 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby,

Messaged you.

Cheers

Neil

OP TobyA 17 Jan 2019
In reply to neil.loydon:

Hi Neil,

Have replied, but needed to message you through UKC as I don't see your email address in the message from UKC, but I've sent you my contact details!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...