UKC

Cairngorm Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sutty22 19 May 2013
Just returned from a month away working. How are the snow conditions in the Northern Corries just now? I'm thinking of taking a walk in and going up and down some gullies. It would be nice to get some practise on just snow. Any big cornices left?

Cheers, Chris
 AlH 19 May 2013
In reply to Sutty22: http://talisman-activities.blogspot.co.uk Pics an report on Spiral Gully from thursday.
OP Sutty22 20 May 2013
In reply to AlH: Cheers Al, I usually follow Ron's blog but I haven't been able to get on it while I've been away. Might take a wander up this week sometime and have a play.
 Jamie B 20 May 2013
In reply to AlH:

Looks like the Great Slab has gone - and started building afresh! Crazy times...
OP Sutty22 20 May 2013
In reply to Sutty22: Looking for a partner for Wednesday if anyone fancies an easy, fun day out

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=550314

Cheers, Chris
 Ron Walker 20 May 2013
In reply to Sutty22:
It's been warm with heavy rain over the weekend so the buttresses should now be completely stripped though all the big Grade 1 gullies, coire headwalls and crag approaches are still looking snowy.
If it cools or clears at night it should be good for big boot alpine ascents and the easier rock routes. If it doesn't freeze it'll be spring snow and you'll need to be extra careful with the snow bridges and crevasses between the rock and the snow - they'll be really deep and hard to get out of if you fall in!
As always take care with loose rock at the end of the winter and if below the remaining cornices or hanging snow patches! Might be tempted out myself...
Have fun but take care.

Cheers Ron
 Ron Walker 20 May 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
> (In reply to AlH)
>
> Looks like the Great Slab has gone - and started building afresh! Crazy times...

The Great Slab hadn't gone in that photo though the snow pack was definitely slipping downwards!
After the warm temps and heavy rain this weekend I'd be very surprised if it hasn't completely gone by now!

I've got some old slide photos from around the 21st June 1992/1993 showing the heavily crevassed Coire an Lochian glacier before it slid at the end of June!

Of more recent vintage (April 2011) see youtube.com/watch?v=aKkWeObriOk&
OP Sutty22 20 May 2013
In reply to Ron Walker: Thanks for the advice. If you end up stuck for a partner (unlikely maybe) and fancy an easy, light-hearted day, let me know.

Cheers, Chris
 sinclaircooper 02 Jun 2013
In reply to Sutty22: Poopy
 Ron Walker 02 Jun 2013

A few photos from today, ice axes were useful for the approaches to the popular rock climbs. I was surprised that a few folk were surprised at the snowy approaches to the rock route in Coire an t-Sneachda given the amount of info on conditions...! See https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.313456935421527.54844.12431016100...
 CurlyStevo 03 Jun 2013
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
its going to be a good year for the snow patch watchers me thinks!
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: That's a cool picture of some big flaky bits of snow.
 AG 04 Jun 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...