UKC

Crampons for large boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rob1 02 Apr 2013
I have size 47.5 nepal evo boots and find that many crampons even when set up correctly don't seem to have as much front point sticking out as when set up with smaller boots. This problem is increased once the front points have been sharpened a few times.

I currently use grivel G14s and am considering the grivel rambo evo4 has anyone any other recommendations.
 Pay Attention 02 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:

You might have a look at Petzl Lynx.

Check the manufacturer's information. They are said to fit most makes / sizes of boots. There are adjustable size fitting for the front points ranging from about 2cm to 4cm. And you can go dual or monopoint as you wish.
 Nick_Scots 03 Apr 2013
Grivel g10s have an extender plate. They just fit my 45 sized la Sportiva makalus.
 Jim Fraser 03 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:

Quite a lot of crampon manufacturers have either one or two types of extending or shortening options to fit the entirety of humanity's variations. Retailers, online or street, who can be bothered dealing with these variations are thinner on the ground.
 Zombieclimber 03 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:

I have some Petzl Lynx crampons. I'm a size 12 boot so I bought an extension bar for the Lynx which you can get from plenty of Petzl stockists. Easy to fit and sorted the problem... Anyone want to buy the old one...
 Siward 03 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1: my grivel g12s fit my size 48s OK. They have the long extension bar, which I got from needle sports for a tenner.
 Fiskavaig 03 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1: Charlet Moser S12
ice.solo 03 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:

G14 newmatics fit sz 45 oly mons fine - which have footprints equal to about a sz 50.

It may be the wire bail thats the issue.
mick taylor 04 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1: If you think terminators would fit, i'm sellimg a pair (excellent condition) and prepared to strike a deal to sell. Mick
 Mr Powly 04 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:

I felt similarly with my size 47 boots, Rambo 4s work really well
 IainMacG 04 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1:
As someone already mentioned but to make this foolproof, use long extender and they fit up to size 50. I have Nepal Evo size 47s and I use G12 this way and there is no problem whatsoever.

Via NeedleSports (who make a great effort at this sort of thing)
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Cr...

These fit, as it says, G12s and G14s.

Iain
 Baron Weasel 05 Apr 2013
In reply to rob1: My spare crampons which are CAMP ones have still have 3 or 4 holes of adjustment left when fitted to my Aku size 47.5 boots. Main crampons (cassin) are on last hole and just fit. Think this is less of a problem than it used to be. I remember fighting crampons onto boots up until 10 years ago...

BW

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...