UKC

Deep South Gully condition (Beinn Alligin)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DizzyVizion 11 Feb 2022

Hi, does anyone know if Deep South Gully on Beinn Alligin is in a reasonably climbable condition at the moment? I'm looking for a destination for next Saturday (weather permitting)

Kind regards

Deep South Gully (I)

In reply to DizzyVizion:

I' m afraid the nearest I got  to Torridon today was the Fannaichs. I had a walk over Sgurr Mor and Sgurr nan Clach Geala. Ridges are VERY wind- scoured with plenty of  well consolidated snow and some icy patches.  The east facing corrie in Clach Geala was choc a bloc with blown snow so suspect any gullies would have been hard work with breakable crust and deep powder. Could all change by next weekend. Very strong winds forecast for a lot of next week with further snowfall. Will be out in Torridon or Kintail on Monday so will post further then.  Hills very quiet today .  Nobody on my hills and only a couple of cars parked below An Teallach

Post edited at 18:59
OP DizzyVizion 11 Feb 2022
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thank you, I really appreciate that.

I'm a 5 hour drive from Torridon so any info would be great.

It's a long way to go to find out it's not climbable- something I did a couple of years back. 

jpicksley 11 Feb 2022

They're not your hills. I was on Sgurr Mor today as well and I saw no signs claiming it belongs to you. But just in case. thank you for giving me access. it's good to share.

In reply to jpicksley:

Sorry I missed you .I went up from Loch a' Bhraoin over Meall a' Chrasgaidh. Did you go upfromLoch Droma?

jpicksley 12 Feb 2022

Yes. Early start and didn't stop for long on Sgurr Mor. Mind, for all I could see you could have been 50 mts away all the time I was on the ridge. Hope you had a good day.

In reply to jpicksley:

I think I probably started later than you. Wind to begin with on Meall a' Chrasgaidh was strong with much spindrift and little visibility. It started to drop around 1,30 and I had the tops of Sgurr nan Clach Geala then Sgurr Mor clear with views to the Fisherfield hills and An Teallach

jpicksley 12 Feb 2022

Nice. Yes, I started early. I noticed the tops clear as I made my descent but then I like bad visibility as I like navigating. Yes, i'm a weirdo. Good day, great area.

In reply to DizzyVizion:

As promised,report fromTorridon today. On Beinn Eighe ridge. Damp below 900 metres  with light snowfall above this. Still plenty of snow in north facing Corries with more forecast  tomorrow. Windy thereafter though it looks like the northwest misses the worst   of the storms on  Wednesday and thursday. Unfortunately not looking very settled right through into  March although there will be more snow. Torridon very quiet today. Haven' t seen it this quiet in mid February in years.

Post edited at 21:22
OP DizzyVizion 15 Feb 2022

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. I think we'll leave Torridon this time and do something else- Stob Ban south gully if the avalanche forecast allows

We'll get up deep south gully on Beinn Alligin one of these days!

Mark Bull 15 Feb 2022
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Stob Ban South Gully is complete. Someone soloed it yesterday and judging by the size of their post holes it was a bit on the soft side. It has been colder today, but there has also been some fresh snow which was accumulating on easterly aspects. 

OP DizzyVizion 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks Mark 👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...