UKC

Different lengths ice axes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmerrick21 27 Mar 2018

Is it silly idea having axes of different lengths?

im looking at buying petzl sum’tecs.

reasons for different lengths are: I was going to buy same length(55cm) new but found someone selling one (45cm) . I could buy the other new (same size) , or the longer 55cm. I’m thinking the longer adze would be better for single use, when used as a pair I’d have the smaller, lighter one in my weaker hand. Also saving weight And s bit of cash.

thanks for any advice 

Pete Houghton 27 Mar 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

It depends on the objective, I often chop and change between a pair of DMM Apex, an Apex and a Grivel AirTech Evo, or an AirTech and a floppy little Climbing Technology Agile 45... but for pure steep and technical stuff, I'd want two axes of the same style and length... then you know exactly what each hand is doing.

OP jmerrick21 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Objective is replacing my current axes for this summer trip to alps 

axes are the same just slightly different lengths 

mcawle 28 Mar 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

Just one thing to bear in mind - pretty sure the shorter 43cm Sum'Tec is a previous model, with a B-rated (type 1) pick. Not as strong as a T-rated/type 2 pick (although maybe not an issue depending on what you are aiming for in the Alps).

Current Sum'Tec is only 55cm as far as I can see, and uses the same pick as some other Petzl axes (e.g. Quark) - T-rated/type 2.

Even if you ignore the strength difference of the pick, I'm not sure how easy it still is/will be to get replacement picks for the old Sum'tec model if you need to later on.

wercat 28 Mar 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

I climbed an icy gully a few days ago with a long wooden shafted axe and a shorter alpine axe, went very well! 

nniff 28 Mar 2018
In reply to jmerrick21:

It used to be very common, back in the mists of time.

wercat 28 Mar 2018
In reply to nniff:

it can make a routine outing more interesting than it would otherwise be by not using the latest most expensive gear in matched pairs

Post edited at 13:37
 Mark Bannan 28 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> ... I often chop and change ...

Ha ha! Nice one!

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...