UKC

DMM Fly lower hand rest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sgiand 14 Apr 2013
Does anyone know if the lower hand rest for the current version of the DMM Fly (which can be bought separately) can be fitted to the spike of the original Fly by drilling a suitable hole for the fixing bolt?

Incidentally, I've emailed DMM twice with this very question and not even had the courtesy of a reply. I would have expected better of a locally based company.
 ColdWill 14 Apr 2013
In reply to sgiand: you can probably make anything fit if you're prepared to drill and cut, but they're not going to say so are they.
 jas wood 14 Apr 2013
In reply to sgiand: my mukka has put a grivel trigger on the botoom of his with some light filing, works a treat. They may not sell the "triggers" seperate mind, but thought they would have told you that.
 CurlyStevo 14 Apr 2013
In reply to jas wood: the larger grivel triggers with the metal hook sawn off are a good option...
 Milesy 14 Apr 2013
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Ic...

I put the old petzl grip rests on mine. Couldnt manage to drill them myself so put into a machine shop to get it done. I upgraded to Apex's a week later anyway.
 mlmatt 14 Apr 2013
In reply to sgiand:

I managed to get the old style petzl quark pinky rests on my DMM fly's. It did require drilling out a small 5mm hole in the spike to get the bolt through.

My advice is to get a tungsten/carbide drill bit (at least I think it was) and a pillar drill (as it's most stable) and got for it. I did and I thoroughly enjoy climbing with my fly's in this way.
 Dan Arkle 14 Apr 2013
In reply to sgiand:

The metal is very hard so without the right kit drilling is difficult.

You may well find that selling them and buying new tools is a better use of your time and money.

Another cheapo option is this
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=538352
 kenny boy 15 Apr 2013
try Needle Sports web site ;they match up existing axes with compatible rests.
I bought some my Flys 2 years ago, no need for drilling
 Milesy 15 Apr 2013
You cant get any of the compatible ones any more. I had to hunt hard to get the old petzl ones.
 Yourlead 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Milesy:
I have used two jubilee clips on each tool, one round the base of the tool and the other through the loop of the first clip. You then mold the second clip and cover with duct tape. Cheap and easy and works well.
 Tom Last 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Yourlead:

That's what I did too, suffices for me.
 CurlyStevo 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Milesy:
The grivel triggers work well and can be removed if not liked. Triggers with the metal trig sawn off are otherwise identical to Sliders (that are no longer available).

http://www.petestack.com/blog/climbing/clippers-and-grip-rests-for-dmm-flys...
 CurlyStevo 16 Apr 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:
The main negatives to this is cost (30 quid) and the handle has to be held a bit higher up.
 steveshaking 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Milesy: the current Petzl trigrests work as the needlesports table suggests. I fitted some to flys last year, just had to remove some rubber. I still felt frustrated with the axe and upgraded so it is worth asking how happy you are with them before spending quite a lot on 2 small bits of plastic.
 CurlyStevo 17 Apr 2013
In reply to steveshaking:
The Petzl trigrests (not griprests) are extremely fragile I have broken 4 over 2 seasons.
 Martin Brown 17 Apr 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...