UKC

Dorsal arete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cornish boy 20 Feb 2013
Just got back from Scotland, the highlight being Dorsal Arete in Glencoe in superb conditions. Does anyone know if the grade II route goes over all the fins/gendarmes on the rocky knife edge arete section? We took this exposed line, but noticed that the other teams ahead of us opted to bypass this on the left, missing out on the fun (and considerable exposure!) in my opinion. What a great route though! Cheers
In reply to Cornish boy:
Good Lad u did it the Sporting way
The fin is the Crux, very exposed isn't it? Lovely position
To be in, its not uncommon for a lot of folk to bypass it
My mate who climbs 7/8 doesn't like it solo I kid u not
 IM 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Cornish boy: often given as II 3 - the 3 being the fin [fun] bit. e.g. Dan Bailey, Scotland's Mountain Ridges.
OP Cornish boy 20 Feb 2013
In reply to mac fae stirling: Thanks to you both for your replies. Tackling it head on certainly gets you into some amazing positions with tons of exposure. Not surprised to learn that technically it's harder than a grade II. Interesting to hear that many folk bypass the crux on the left hand side. I've just had a look at some of people's photos of it on UKC and there's some interesting techniques used to get up and over it! It's a cracking route though isn't it? I've uploaded a few photos of it too now.
 Wee Davie 20 Feb 2013
In reply to Cornish boy:

CurlyStevo will pop up in a second to assert that the fin is worth tech 7. He speaketh with forketh tongue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...