UKC

fall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kendo 10 Jan 2007
getting word of a climber dying after a 500ft fall in Coire an t-Sneachda.
Was with a party of six but solo climbing.
 IainMunro 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

Oh dear, where did you hear that?

Iain
The Big Grey Man 10 Jan 2007
In reply to IainMunro:

Anybody got anymore news?

Rich A 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

Anymore info? Would be useful for people who have friends or loved ones out in the hills today if you said were you got this from.

I couldn’t find anything on the web.

Hope your info is wrong but I guess you must be sure to post this?
OP kendo 10 Jan 2007
In reply to The Big Grey Man: Crotched gully, around 2.30pm
 Wibble Wibble 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

I hope you're wrong. There's been too many already this season - though I guess one is too many.
The Big Grey Man 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

Where did you actually get this information. I have listened to every newsflash, checked every web page and watched the tv but heard nothing

Some of us actually know people who were in the Coire today, it would be good if yoy could tell us exactly what you heard and who you heard it from instead of taunting us with little snippets

Please

In reply to The Big Grey Man:
On Reporting Scotland this evening . 1 fatality - no details,climber taken to Raigmore Hospital and pronounced dead on arrival.
 CENSORED 10 Jan 2007
In reply to The Big Grey Man: Sincere condolonces to his family and friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6250305.stm
 Wibble Wibble 10 Jan 2007
In reply to CENSORED:

Oh dear. Very sorry to hear that.
 philo 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

:< thoughts to the family and friends
 SWalls 10 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo: Condolences to family and friends. Yet another taken by that corrie. Hope you can find some comfort in these difficult times.
charliejorr 11 Jan 2007
In reply to stevewalls:
> (In reply to kendo)

'Taken by that Corrie'

Come on Steve - we can safely leave this kind of stuff to the Tabloids.

Charlie
fxceltic 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr: but in all seriousness, what is going on in that corrie this season? I think I will avoid it this year, too many bad omens.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Anonymous 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr:

> 'Taken by that Corrie'
>
> Come on Steve - we can safely leave this kind of stuff to the Tabloids.

Your comment above is totally inappropriate. Steve was closely involved with events in November where two close friends were quite literally "taken by that corrie". He also lost another friend within a few weeks in the same corrie.

Think before you speak in times like this

LC

somebody 11 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to charliejorr)
>
>
> Think before you speak in times like this
>
> LC

Actually, I agree with charliejorr. Sensationlist comments like this don't help anyone. The coire didn't 'do' anything and pretending it did is pointless. Mutterings of 'bad omens' is equally distasteful.
 george mc 11 Jan 2007
In reply to somebody:
> (In reply to Anonymous)
> [...]
>
> Actually, I agree with charliejorr. Sensationlist comments like this don't help anyone. The coire didn't 'do' anything and pretending it did is pointless. Mutterings of 'bad omens' is equally distasteful.

Here! Here!

Cheers fur noo
George Mc

Jamesclimb 11 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:
I climbed that route on Sunday.
The slightly corniced top looked dreadful, very layered and lose,
The snow we encounter was fairly solid with a good frozen windblown crust. Having said that I think it was much harder than the given grade especially at the top.
I trended left onto the small rock spur and headed up this so as to avoid the cornice.

My deepest condolences.
AnthonyB 11 Jan 2007
In reply to All:

Does anyone know what group he was part of?
Anonymous 11 Jan 2007
In reply to streapadair:

Having read the brief BBC report.
I can only surmise, perhaps a lack of experience.

So young, what a waste; sincere condolences to his family and friends.
 SWalls 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr: Sorry. Didn't mean it to be taken like that it's just not a place that holds great thoughts for me at the moment. Maybe I just need to get back up there.
 IainMunro 11 Jan 2007
In reply to somebody:

> Actually, I agree with charliejorr. Sensationlist comments like this don't help anyone. The coire didn't 'do' anything and pretending it did is pointless. Mutterings of 'bad omens' is equally distasteful.

Regardless of whether it was the mountain environment, bad luck or human error I really see no need for your above comments. In the last few weeks four lives have been cut tragically short and we should be showing our support for those involved. I know for a fact that families and friends of the victims of the recent accidents have taken comfort in reading the messages of condolences on these forums. Why not offer some sympathy instead of abuse?

To the family and friends of Hugh, I hope you find the strengh needed to get through this difficult time

Iain

charliejorr 11 Jan 2007
In reply to Anonymous:
> (
> Think before you speak in times like this
>
>I did think, and I stand by what I said. This does not diminish in any way any regret or sadness I might feel at the death of these young climbers. To infer that their deaths have somthing to do with the malevolence of a given crag or with the 'bad omens' (as another poster would have it)in that particular corrie, is not something I would expect to find among the climbing fraternity.

We all have choices to make in this game of ours and these boys all made such choices - Now before I am accused of apportioning blame - I'm not,I'm simply saying that if we make choices that are wrong for us then we weigh the odds in favour of a bad outcome.

I soloed The Runnel in that corrie in mid December on a beautiful,sunny,windless day when everything was solid, no chance of avalanche no cornices going to cut loose. - Same Corrie - That was my choice, had things been otherwise I would not have done it. We all have such choices to make every time we go into the mountains - I make mine you make yours - and we all try as best we can to keep the balance in our favour.

Charlie
In reply to IainMunro:
> Why not offer some sympathy instead of abuse?

This is getting ridiculous! There's no abuse in his post at all.

Laubie 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr:

I think you are taking this too far and or reading to much into it. The other poster made no negative comments. He actually agrees that a comment like "corrie taking another" is a stupid tabloid headline.

somebody 11 Jan 2007
In reply to IainMunro:
> (In reply to somebody)
>
> [...]
>
> Regardless of whether it was the mountain environment, bad luck or human error I really see no need for your above comments. In the last few weeks four lives have been cut tragically short and we should be showing our support for those involved. I know for a fact that families and friends of the victims of the recent accidents have taken comfort in reading the messages of condolences on these forums. Why not offer some sympathy instead of abuse?
>
> To the family and friends of Hugh, I hope you find the strengh needed to get through this difficult time
>
> Iain

The need for those comments is that some people might prefer not to think of their loved ones been taken by some malignant supernatural force. These people had an unfortunate and tragic accident.
fxceltic 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr: surely what people consider to be a bad omen is a personal thing? Personally I will give that corrie a miss that year after what has happened, why have you got a problem with that? I simply wouldnt be comfortable there.

In reply to charliejorr:

I agree wholeheartedly. It could have happened anywhere and been just as tragic anywhere else too.

Davie
charliejorr 11 Jan 2007
In reply to fxceltic:
> why have you got a problem with that?

I don't have a problem, in fact you make my point. The choice is a personal one - to do with how you feel about what's happened and absolutely nothing to do with the location itself.

Charlie
 Lawman 11 Jan 2007
In reply to charliejorr:

Charlie,

Leave it alone please. This thread is not the place to have any kind of arguement about which Coire or the fact that that it's 'That Coire'.

This is a thread about the loss of a life and should be respectful. Bear in mind that the family and friends of this person might read here and will not be impressed with any arguement.

If you feel strongly about the the comment made, make an issue of it in another thread.

Rich
Slugain Howff 11 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

A little under 2 years ago an 18 year old Hugh posted this on UKC.

Dear Norrie:
“like climbing in the Cairngorms”
I have never climbed there and have no idea what kind of gear is needed for the Cairngorms.
 SWalls 11 Jan 2007
Sorry. I understand why people have taken my post the way they have and I agree with most of what has been said. Having lost 2 friends up there recently I was not thinking. It was only meant to be a turn of phrase. The day Richard and Graeme died was a very surreal day for me. I know this is no excuse. I know the mountain doesn't "take" people and do not believe in bad omens. I very much regret making the post as I know Richard and Graeme's families found a lot of comfort from the comments on this site and although no abuse is being given there is still a negativity. Could we please either turn this into a page of condolences or start a new one. If anyone has any issues with the comment feel free to discuss it on another thread.
 SWalls 12 Jan 2007
Again sincere condolences to the family. I hope you find some comfort in this difficult time.
 MagnusL 12 Jan 2007
In reply to kendo:

My deepest sympathies to those involved.

M

Eliza 12 Jan 2007
Just wanted to offer my condolences to Hugh's family and friends. Another terrible loss for them and the climbing community, so soon after too many others.

I hope no one takes offence to the link I am posting below. As a close friend of Graeme Cooper and a previous work colleague of Neil Batchelor's, I have been hit hard by recent events at Cairngorm.

Some of Graeme's friends are taking part in the Strathpuffer 24hr Mountain Bike Challenge and are raising fund for the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue Team. The below link contains all the information about the event and how to sponsor them.

Every little helps, so please don't feel shy even if it only seems a small amount. The collection for CMRT from Graeme's funeral raised £1800, which along with the Strathpuffer donations, I'm sure will really help the CMRT.

http://www.northernlightsdesign.co.uk/cooper/index.html

Take care all,

Eliza

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...