UKC

Galloway winter tomorrow - recommendations / partner?(!!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 25 Nov 2016
Hi all,

Possibly the most optimistic post ever in the history of UKC but here goes...

I'm near Castle Douglas and can see some snowy hills to the north. I'm going to have a wander round tomorrow, looking for a (as I'll be on my own, easy Grade I or possibly II) way up some winter stuff. I'm going anyway to have a look, but does anyone have any recommendations for routes or areas worth looking at. The Rhinns of Kells seems to be the most likely from the guide book.

UNLESS>>>

There is anyone out there who wants to join me for, in all honesty, a long walk for little or no climbing at the end of it...?

Or I might take my cross country skis - anyone any thoughts on a destination?

Cheers,

Lex
 Webster 25 Nov 2016
In reply to lex:

well I wouldn't be surprised if its colder in the Galloway hills than the highlands this weekend given the forecast (the high pressure has been centred toughly around the boarder and is sinking south bringing warmer air to the north...). I have no experience of climbing of any kind in that area but if there are any high snowed up rock routes you may be pleasantly surprised!
 Sharp 25 Nov 2016
In reply to lex:

I don't think you'll find anything to climb tomorrow but I could be wrong; it'll be nice weather for getting out though and it's snowy on the tops. I was up Merrick today in stunning weather and I started down the back to have a look if any ice routes were forming on the Black Gairy but turned back after a short descent as things were quite soggy underfoot even high up in the shade and I didn't fancy the loop round. That could just have been me being pessimistic though.

Not sure if you're on the Galloway Climbers page but it sounds like the sking will be better the further north you go, I wouldn't bother with skis in the trool area.

Sounds like you might have made a good assessment with the Rhinns of Kells, hope you have a good day.
In reply to lex:

Unfortunately it hasn't really been cold enough for long enough for anything much to form in Galloway. Perhaps your best bet would be to walk (or better ski) up Corserine from Forrest Lodge. A handful of short easy ice routes have been done on the north face just below the summit since the last guide. Another high possibility might be NE Couloir on the Merrick which is in the guide, and again you could use your skis. Either way, with tomorrow's forecast, you'll have a grand walk/ski at the least.

Longer term, there is a Galloway climbers facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/189847150690/ and quite a few of the members are based in CD so it's a good way to meet folk.

By the way, for the Forrest Lodge tracks in particular, Microspikes can be well worth taking if you have them.
OP lex 27 Nov 2016
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Thanks to all who replied. I went out yesterday and reality triumphed over optimism. Although it was warmer than forecast, there wouldn't have been anything in conditions anyway, as Stephen said. Still, the axes and crampons came in very useful... as ballast on the walk along the Rhinns of Kells ridge. Nice walk, nice views.
Thanks for the Facebook page link. I guess I'm going to have to succumb to the Facebook thing after all these years, if I want to meet some local climbers....
Cheers, Lex
In reply to lex:

> Thanks for the Facebook page link. I guess I'm going to have to succumb to the Facebook thing after all these years, if I want to meet some local climbers....

You can always do what I do and sign up but then put "Please don't expect me to be your "Friend" - if I am already your friend then I don't need to proclaim it on Facebook and if I'm not then it's meaningless!" I'm not even "friends" with my wife (though in reality we are best friends!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...