UKC

Glasgow Ice Factor Open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Milesy 31 May 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr:

If you have been inducted at kinlochleven and climbed there on other occasions do you need another induction? Surely a cross check should suffice? Does Jamie B still work there? Can he answer?
Dr Avinash Aujayeb 31 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:

Do we have a website? I can't find one
 rallymania 31 May 2013
In reply to Milesy:

seems so... it suggests that from the website anyway
jampot 31 May 2013
In reply to rallymania: guys if you are members of ice factor you do not need to do an induction. Simply turn up, it's £10 for Ice Factor members
Thanks
 Milesy 31 May 2013
Nice one!
 Fiona Reid 31 May 2013
In reply to jampot:

Thanks, out of interest what happens if you're no longer a member of Ice Factor (it expired in 2011/12) but did the induction there in the past?

craig1983 31 May 2013
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Or to extend that...what if you've only ever climbed at Ice Factor as a guest? So I'll be on their system, but not as a member...will I have to do the Snow Factor Induction?
In reply to Scott_vzr:

I had the good fortune to receive an invitation for this opening night, to sample the ice before it's opened to the public.

I really enjoyed the evening and at £10 (or so I believe), it's well worth a visit.

There was also a rep from DMM who let us sample the new Switch Axes and the other 2. The Switch looked much better in black (millitary version) than silver/red. Nice handles, a little less beef (even with additional head weights) that I prefer, the useless adze looks lethal, pointing towards your face! I still think Nomics (IMO) have the slight edge in balance/swing, then again only my opinion.

Stuart
 Martin W 01 Jun 2013
Anyone know the protocol for climbing here if not being inducted or trained? The web site says that if you're an Ice Factor member you can just "Turn up, bring your kit, fill out your registration form, pay £10 and climb," and "You are welcome to stay on the walls as long as you are able." However, when I phoned them this morning I was told that they are running two-hour blocks, same as at Kinlochleven, starting from 12 noon. I was hoping to get an early session as I need to be home by 3pm but that rather puts the mockers on it. Never mind, at least the forecast is OK so I can go and do stuff outdoors.

I do wish they'd have a consistent policy, though. Kinlochleven is just as bad, sometimes insisting that you have an up-to-date membership, other times just happy that you're registered. It's all a bit confusing for a poor, simple-minded ice climber (let's face it, you have to be slightly simple-minded to think climbing steep ice with marginal protection while festooned with pointy things is a good idea...)
 rogerwebb 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Do they have any kind of useable spike at the bottom of the shaft? The lack of one on the Nomics I have found to be an issue when using them as arm extensions when pushing off things. I liked the spike on the Rebel.
 rogerwebb 05 Jun 2013
In reply to rogerwebb:

PS I like the look of Jamie's Lum Direct.
 craig1983 05 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin W:

Did the 'induction for rock climbers' last night. To climb (unless someone that works there wants to correct me) you have to either be an existing member of Ice Factor, have done the Ice Factor Intro course, or do the Snow Factor Induction.

Speaking to them last night, they're still saying its a 'climb as long as you like' policy so don't know why they told you they're running 2 hour blocks! Did you challenge them on it?
In reply to rogerwebb:
aye they had a spike, they also had a small hole to thread cord through.

i'm glad you like pic, it was awesome, thin, technical ice. proper fun!

regards

stuart
 rogerwebb 07 Jun 2013
In reply to Stuart the postie:

thanks
 scotlass 10 Jun 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr: I asked them about this rip off induction thing and this is the reply I got "Snow Factor - Hi, we require anyone who is not a member of ice factor, AMI, IMFGA, UIGM or BMG to complete the Induction Course, if you are a member you can turn up register and climb. Thanks."

So unless your a guide you need to pay the £30 quid to be told how to put on your harness and the jaggy bit of your axe should point towards the wall.

Anyone else think this is a daft rip off or is it just me?
 craig1983 10 Jun 2013
In reply to scotlass:

> Anyone else think this is a daft rip off or is it just me?

Well climbing is £10, gear hire is £10, so the course is really only an extra £10 for 3 hours of supervised/coached climbing...not too bad I didn't think when you consider what the snowboarding/skiing prices are in there!

scotlass 10 Jun 2013
In reply to craig1983: agreed the slope prices are far to expensive hence why the place is always empty but making people take an induction they dont need and paying a extra £20 for the pleasure is the part that gets me
 davy_boy 10 Jun 2013
"Snow Factor - Hi, we require anyone who is not a member of ice factor, AMI, IMFGA, UIGM or BMG to complete the Induction Course, if you are a member you can turn up register and climb. Thanks."

does this mean that your induction will be with somebody with one of the above qualifications ? seems a bit overkill for a climbing wall. surely this would be well within the MIC remit ?

sleeplessjb 10 Jun 2013
In reply to davy_boy: mics are members of ami as are mia's
 davy_boy 10 Jun 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb: ok makes a bit more sense now.
 Jamie B 11 Jun 2013
In reply to scotlass:

Alternatively Adele, if you don't want to do the induction, renew your membership at Kinlochleven for £15. Given that you will then be paying £10 per visit for unlimited climbing, versus £20/£25 for 2 hours at Kinloch it doesn't seem like such a bad deal?

The purpose of the induction is not to tell you how to put on a harness. You won't be accepted for an induction unless you can state climbing/climbing wall experience. It is designed to familiarise customers with the facility and ensure that they have enough basic competence to continue to climb with minimal supervision. Our experience at Kinlochleven was that simply ticking "yes" to having ice-climbed before was not enough to ensure that wall-users were comfortable on the wall, hence the need for a greater degree of control now.
 Martin W 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B: Jamie, it sounds like you are confirming that climbing on the ice wall at Braehead is unlimited for Ice Factor members. This is not what I was told when I phoned up on the first weekend (see my post earlier in this thread). I understand (possibly erroneously) that you are managing the facility at the moment. If that's so then please could you make sure that the staff have the correct information when potential customers phone with a query?
 Jamie B 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Martin W:

I'm not the manager, but am providing assistance while things get up and running. It's inevitable that there will be teething problems, and I'm sorry that you appear to have experienced these. Message me with your full name and I'll try to get your membership at Kinlochleven verified and someone will be in touch.
 don macb 11 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

we popped down for a curious bumble yesterday afternoon- it was a reminder of just how crap my footwork really is.

you've got some lovely ice and a surprising variety of styles across the routes... a very welcome addition to glasgow's climbing facilities.

hats of to you, jamie: you seem to have put a good bit of thought into the wall / ice design. nice job! looking forward to future visits.
 Jamie B 11 Jun 2013
In reply to don macb:

> hats of to you, jamie: you seem to have put a good bit of thought into the wall / ice design. nice job! looking forward to future visits.

Can't claim any credit for the design, address your praise to my near-namesake Jamie Smith for that. But I did pack a considerable tonnage of ice into the wall when we built it, so do feel a certain pride! Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Jamie B 12 Jun 2013
In reply to sleeplessjb:

> mics are members of ami as are mia's

Not exactly... AMI (Association of Mountaineering Instructors) is a professional body open to anyone who holds the above awards, but membership is not automatic and an MIA/MIC might choose not to join (although most do). Although there is extensive co-operation and resource-sharing between AMI and MLTUK (who administer the awards) they are most definitely separate entities.
 barbeg 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Hi Jamie,

I also enjoyed the ice last night...the variety of terrain (gully, arête, slabs, corners, overhangs etc) was surprising, as was the variety of ice (snow ice, bubble ice and some hard water ice!), as well as the dry tooling overhang!.

I have emailed Snow Factor to express a few irritations:

1. £1 non-refundable for lockers - rip off. And if you forget something you have to use more £1's.
2. Induction I believe is essential,(lots of sharp pointy things to do damage to self and others) but it is too long and therefore could be cheaper.

In summary, a great experience and well worth the £10 a throw from now on. I will certainly be going back. If anyone else has done the induction and is looking for someone to climb with at the ice wall, please feel free to get in touch.,
ANdy
 Jamie B 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Cheers Andrew, nice to meet you too and thanks for the feedback, which will be discussed.
 Gene00 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Hi Jamie. I was down on Monday afternoon for a few hours, we were the only people climbing.
There are some great routes and the ice is excellent. We finished off with an attempt on the dry tool overhang!! Suffice to say neither of us managed to top out, but we came close, kind of.

aldo56 12 Jun 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr: Went down tonight for the intro course. It was excellent; very informative tutorial from staff member (apologies, can't remember his name but he had been drafted in from Kinlochleven).

Gear wise they have Phantom Guides, G12s and Monsters. All excellent.

Definitely be back some point soon, recommended!
 Jamie B 13 Jun 2013
In reply to aldo56:

> It was excellent; very informative tutorial from staff member (apologies, can't remember his name but he had been drafted in from Kinlochleven).

That'll be me then! Not drafted direct from Kinloch - I used to work there fulltime but I'm a freelance gun-for-hire now. Just helping to get things up-and-running...
 eltankos 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:
Hi Andrew, I'd be up for climbing with you at Snow Factor sometime!
Also had my induction from Jamie B, who was class, on the first day the ice opened (the saturday).
The lockers are a major rip off and have always been.
As someone else said, the induction isn't too bad, £10 for your ice time, £10 for the gear hire, and then it's only another tenner for essentially 3 hours of coaching, not too shabby.
 IM 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Scott_vzr: can one person do the induction or do you need a minimum of two?
 eltankos 04 Jul 2013
In reply to mac fae stirling:
I booked in on my own, got on a lesson with one other guy. So yeah, you can book in on your own.
 IM 06 Jul 2013
In reply to eltankos: ok thanks.
 barbeg 06 Jul 2013
In reply to mac fae stirling:

Yes, there needs to be 2 people but I just booked by myself and they let me know when someone else matched the date - it was fine.
ANdy
 IM 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew Mallinson: cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...