UKC

Glen Clova Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r.king 12 Mar 2013
Hi

Im looking to climb tomorrow leaving from Edinburgh, was thinking of Glen Clova. Could anyone tell me what the conditions are like? Not sure if there will be too much snow?

Or any other suggestions of somewhere within a couple hours drive would be great.

Cheers
Tim Chappell 12 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king:

Excellent conditions.
 Euge 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to r.king)
>
> Excellent conditions.

Seriously???

E
Tim Chappell 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Euge:

Yep. Henning, Simon and I were up there on Sunday. It was really good.

http://graniteandice.blogspot.co.uk/
 Euge 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell: Cheers Tim... Looks like Henning and Co have been busy in Clova.

E
 hwackerhage 13 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king:

Hi,

Glen Clova was very good on Sunday with solid neve, some ice and buttreses were kept white by the snow showers. However, it is snowing a lot at the moment and so I would watch the SAIS avalanche forecast as powder on the neve might result in dangerous conditions. So probably not so good anymore as gullies might be too dangerous.

Cheers,

Henning

Tim Chappell 13 Mar 2013
In reply to hwackerhage:

Indeed. On Sunday as we drove out of the glen Simon was noting how loaded the W aspects of Ben Tirran and the hills around it were. But if it snows enough and the wind swirls, all aspects might get a bit problematic.

I'm still getting out on Saturday if I possibly can
 coachio 13 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king:

Angus hills looking a lot whiter this morning with snow clouds behind.

Cheers

Mark

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZQ5UEssdIhS4CNKH7KIoBoEIDMQbyMNvL31Gs...
OP r.king 13 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king: Thanks for all the info. In the end we drove upto Creag Meagaidh last night and had a great day today!
Pete.T 26 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king: Anyone been in Winter corrie in Clova recently ? Any info on conditions appreciated, thinking of trying quick hit there tomorrow, maybe diagonal. Cheers
 MG 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Pete.T: Was there 10 days ago when it was a bit melty but we climbed LookC. Has been cold pretty much ever since so might be OK. Or not!
 DundeeDave 26 Mar 2013
In reply to MG: 9 days ago winter corrie was good. Not been warm since then so I imagine it will be worth a trip
 hwackerhage 26 Mar 2013
In reply to DundeeDave:

Conditions are quite unique this year with excellent neve in many of the corries. Also importantly the avalanche forecast looks much better than at the weekend:
http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_southern%20cairngorms.asp

If Look C is not in condition then there are lot of atmospheric but safe options on the face to the right from grade III to grade V. Additionally some routes on the North wall in Corrie Fee might be in nick. Glen Clova is more than just Look C!
Pete.T 26 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king: Cheers folks, as said, hoping to go to Winter corrie as opposed to Coire Fee. Taking a novice so hoping to do diagonal gully as not done it before. Sounds like it might be ok so will go and see !
nickyrannoch 27 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king:

Fit like is the road?
Pete.T 28 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king: Road is fine if narrow in places.
 Julie Black 29 Mar 2013
Hope you had agood day.
What were the conditions like once you got in? Can't decide if would be better to ski tour or climb. I'm guessing western slopes and some gullies likely to be pretty loaded with powdery stuff, eastern slopes and ridges pretty scoured. Any on the ground info appreciated.

Ta
Pete.T 29 Mar 2013
In reply to r.king: Hi Julie, replied to your email. Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...