UKC

Groundbreaking First Winter Ascent in Bath

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 acer2012 03 Mar 2018

For those who know Bath, we've got some big news! A Groundbreaking new route on Mt. Widcombe has been achieved - the first winter ascent of a mega classic!

Full documentation of the ascent can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKe9Cf98VmE&feature=youtu.be

(Disclaimer: It's a joke!)

Pete Houghton 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

Chapeau dudes.

edit
Do you think your AirTech Evos might have been a bit of a hindrance on the more technical initial and final pitches, even if they were the perfect tool to have on the slightly easier ground in the middle of the route? Would you recommend any future teams pack something with a bit more shape to them, or do you think the lighter AirTechs are sufficient?

Post edited at 14:11
 Sophie G. 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

I've cycled that. It wasn't in nick at the time, of course.

OP acer2012 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Pete Houghton:

I can certainly see the benefit of something more technical, especially for parts of the first pitch; there were some clearance issues caused by the large hanging blocks that made some moves especially gripping. Oliver was testing out the budget "Bandit" axes and was really singing their praises for such a technical route. 

The AirTech's were excellent on the less demanding terrain however so, yes, maybe I'd suggest bringing a mountaineering axe to supplement a technical pair if conditions got any more extreme. I've got doubts about the longevity of the bin used on the final pitch too, so having a long axe to make a decent buried axe anchor would certainly lay the mind at rest.

Good luck if you're going for the second assent!

Pete Houghton 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

> Good luck if you're going for the second assent!

I wish I could spare the time, but I'm using these once-in-a-generation conditions by working towards my project, first ascent of Misery Hill in Dublin.

PaulTclimbing 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

Some routes like this demand care, but in those conditions it looks a path. It looks right up your street.    

Post edited at 16:33
 im off 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

This may be a technique  that could be adopted to get to almscliff without walking on top of the wall

JamButty 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

My mate lives up that hill and says you damaged his wall with your belay and dry tooling. 

He's looking for compensation....

d_b 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

Some of those placements were clearly manufactured.  Is this what moden mixed climbing ethics have come to?

Post edited at 19:34
 petwes 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

It's fantastic to see how Bath Climbing has moved on over the years. A one day alpine style ascent of Mt Widcombe; who would have believed it!

I remember in my days at Bath University in the early 70's a rag week, single summer pitch up Milsom Street with extensive use of aid made the headlines.

routrax 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

Love it!

Please make more videos

leland stamper 03 Mar 2018
In reply to acer2012:

Brilliant work. Managed to complete Nancy Camel's Bergshrund  down in Shepton Mallet, today, unfortunately just beaten to the first ascent by my Cocker Spaniel , Henry, but I'll take second ascent given the rarity of good conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...