UKC

I've never had hot aches?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CacCarnBeag 09 Oct 2012
As per title. After 2 and a bit rather intense winter climbing seasons I've still never experienced hot aches! My friends don't believe me. Is this just me or are there any other winter climbers who are blessed with magic circulation?
 CurlyStevo 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:
Do you climb with leashes and what gloves / mitts do you use?
bigdelboy 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: Your not holding on tight enough!
Which can mean your not pushing hard enough to get your arse a twitching and get gripped with fear!
OP CacCarnBeag 09 Oct 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Leashless. Always used an old and trashed pair of 10 quid Dakine ski gloves. I get cold hands and numb fingers a bit, but never any pain.
 CurlyStevo 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:
Definately seems to be a pattern between leashes and hot aches
 iksander 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: fingers crossed not yet
 s.scott 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Have you never had an impromptu snowball fight sans gloves as a kid.
 nniff 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Not yet. Numb,yes: painful, no.
 wilkie14c 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: Now you have declared your immunity you are sooo gonna get them this season
skarabrae 09 Oct 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Fin_C) Now you have declared your immunity you are sooo gonna get them this season

lets hope so
 Scarab9 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

I've had it once and it bloody kills, but generally ok. Got a mate who gets em all the time in the same conditions and with better gloves etc.
In reply to Fin_C:

Never had them, either with or without wrist loops.

ALC
 t_stork 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: Ive never had 'em either. But I have generally quite warm hands and good circulation.
OP CacCarnBeag 09 Oct 2012
In reply to t_stork: You do scream quite a lot when climbing though.

Rick Ashton 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: I get it every single time I climb. It make me want to vomit and cry. I even fell unconscious once the pain was so intense climbing with a new partner in kandersteg. Great intro it was.
 Gazlynn 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Lucky thing.

At least it gives me the opportunity to show this link about hot aches which is absolute quality. These guys are legends.

youtube.com/watch?v=DDGf-LF3jh4&

Warning contains swearing

cheers

Gaz

beardy mike 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: I get renauds syndrome so I get them every time. I'll swap with you if you like...
 Jamie B 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Only once had them with real intensity. But then again only once had to spend an hour belaying in a wet dripping cave before stepping straight onto steep ice!
Jim Crow 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

You've never lived.

You really should try harder.

They're the business.

They really make you feel alive.
 JohnnyW 10 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

I seem to be getting them worse as I get older. I am a bugger for letting my hands get cold, then I notice, change/upgrade glove thickness, and hey presto, agony.

This year I am going to try soooo hard to pre-empt 'em.
 peter.herd 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: Findlay, I'm jelous of your abnormally warm hands, but you did tell us you had hot aches at Polldubh the other weekend...?
In reply to Fin_C:
If you do get them eat something asap - that's what helps me and the best thing I found is crystallised dry ginger......
 Trangia 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Count yourself lucky then!
 munro 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:
> As per title. After 2 and a bit rather intense winter climbing seasons I've still never experienced hot aches! My friends don't believe me. Is this just me or are there any other winter climbers who are blessed with magic circulation?

You haven't lived
 angry pirate 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:
This has been a dirty secret of mine for a while too. Now I can come out of the closet and say that I too have never had hot aches!
I have lost feeling in my hands through cold and experienced a tingling when they warm up again but never accompanied by anything more than mild discomfort. Glad I've got that off my chest
 Bruce Hooker 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

Just an old trick to help you: try hitting yourself on the nose with a bit of 2 by 4 - smartly but not too hard all the same.

Now, did that hurt?

If not you have a nervous system malfunction which has good points and bad ones.

If it does hurt then you are normal except you have particularly good blood circulation - a real blessing, why worry?
 DH3631 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: Personally, I never used to get them and didn't really understand what people were going on about, however in the last couple of years I have started experiencing them occasionally and now I see... Maybe it's something that goes with age, like proper hangovers, which again didn't really trouble me as a youngster. You've got it all to look forward to!
 Alex Slipchuk 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: are you on brufen for breakfast. Those anti inflams are the biz for the aches. Along with a well fueled core to keep the blood in the extremetities warm. But don't tell anyone. What with cycling fiasco!
 samwillo 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C: There is no mystery to this, you merely have a set of extremely efficient climbing friends who climb too rapidly to allow you to become cold on your belay.
OP CacCarnBeag 30 Oct 2012
In reply to peter.herd: Yes, I experienced a mild nip in my pinky upon crossing the Steall wire bridge in the rain, I'm guessing a proper hot ache is the same but more intense, and all over your hands...
 Wee Davie 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Fin_C:

I don't get hot aches either- even after belaying one partner for 4 hours! Must have good circulation- or else it's the insulation/ pies?
Love that hot aches video- it's a total classic.
 John_Hat 30 Oct 2012
In reply to angry pirate:
> (In reply to Fin_C)
> This has been a dirty secret of mine for a while too. Now I can come out of the closet and say that I too have never had hot aches!
> I have lost feeling in my hands through cold and experienced a tingling when they warm up again but never accompanied by anything more than mild discomfort.

+1

However I do get very cold very quickly if I'm not moving much, but that's more like dropping off to sleep as core temperature plummets, which I'm not convinced is better than hot aches... it doesn't even have to be that cold outside.
 Cliff Lowther 30 Oct 2012
In reply to Gazlynn: HAhahahahaaha That vid was immense!!! Made me laugh so much!!! Not nice when you have them yourself though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...