UKC

Ice climbing in Colorado

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jacoob81 09 Dec 2012
Hi all,

I'm planning to be in Denver in February and I'd like to do a few days of ice climbing. I've done some stuff in Scotland before but I would like to build my experience.

Could you recommend any climbing schools in Denver or further out that run good ice climbing courses?

Cheers,
Jakub
 Ian Archer 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jacoob81:
I've stayed in Ouray for the ice climbing, not sure about classes, but its very accessable stuff,most can be top roped if you want (we appeard to be the only ones leading and only a few minutes from the nearest b+b type hotel (we stayed at the Victoria Inn - 10 mins from the ice). However - its a long drive from Denver.
Vail may be a bit closer but full of stockbrokers on skis doing deals on their mobiles.
mick taylor 10 Dec 2012
In reply to jacoob81: I've climbed at Buoulder, Telluiride, Vail and Ouray - Ouray would easily be best place for what you're after. It's a great place.
 Ian Archer 11 Dec 2012
In reply to mick taylor: Telluiride is the best for ski / snowboard though!
 ERU 11 Dec 2012
This was posted on:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/WinterClimbsinSouthWales/

.. this morning ...

"I'm told by Nat who passes RC Corner every day on his way to work. No Ice to speak of as yet. To much sun during the day time.
Has anyone had a look at Craig y Llyn yet, that will be the first place to come into nic? Anyone able to drive over that way on the way to work this wk, please check it out from the car and let us know. I have a day off on Friday and will be keen to check it out if anyone's off wk. I have to be back in Cardiff by 2ish so only a quick look."
 sgitl 11 Dec 2012
In reply to jacoob81: Not sure what your level of experience and comfort when climbing with total strangers are, but it might be worth posting on mountainproject.com They have a partners section that is pretty active for Colorado. Could also ask about the schools there if you want to go down that route.
 ERU 12 Dec 2012
... sorry I've just realised I've posted in utterly the wrong thread!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...