UKC

Ice climbing trousers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jockspotter 01 Dec 2019

Looking at getting a pair of ME G2 ultimates as they look quite good but I’m concerned about what length to get? The short version lays straight down to the ankle but rides up slightly while stepping up but the regular length bunches up whilst standing - will this affect anything or their gaiters?

Any other alternatives worth checking out?

AndyE9 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Jockspotter:

I just bought a pair of SIMOND MEN'S ALPINISM  from decathlon , Not used them yet but im very impressed with the quality and what you get compared to what else I've seen  , I had been searching for a while .. these are worth a look ...  

Pay Attention 01 Dec 2019
In reply to Jockspotter:

Don't go short. Some approaches will have deep snow. Even with gaiters there's a risk of getting snow inside your boots. I use a cord that goes around my boot from one side of the trouser to the other to prevent ingress. 

John Ww 01 Dec 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

Seconded - I’ve got two pairs, and used them for freeriding, climbing and winter walking. Just be aware that in true Decathlon style, the sizing is laughable, you need to order AT LEAST one UK size bigger than you think, and the UK sizes don’t match EU sizes. As an example, I’ve just bought a pair of their top of the range free ride ski trousers - I’m a 33” waist, and had to buy XL!

AndyE9 02 Dec 2019
In reply to John Ww:

lol..  Same , I had to go bigger ...    they need to be tried on really  . . 

Billhook 02 Dec 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

Those Simond one's are ace!!  I've had mine for a few years now and they are superb quality and a very affordable price.

StevenF 03 Dec 2019
In reply to Billhook:

I've got a pair of the older style Cascade Mountaineering trousers which are really good for general winter walking, but not sure they would stand up to the abuse of winter climbing. They are also very slim fitting so you can only wear a base layer underneath them. The Alpinism trousers look a lot more robust. 

Billhook 04 Dec 2019
In reply to StevenF:

The alpinism ones are good.

a) built in internal gaiters - which can be unzipped and removed!!

b) side of leg zipper vents and 3 pockets with zippers

c) velcro adjustable braces - which can be removed completely.

d)  Strong crampon patches and Velcro ankle adjustment

e)  Material is quite tough and mine show no signs of wear.  OK I don't wear them a lot except winter - but I've got outdoor trousers I've worn less that show more wear!!

f)  I don't need to wear any thermals underneath and for walking/ice climbing  etc., in winter I find them perfectly adequate although my legs generally don't get cold anyway.

Martin W 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Billhook:

> The alpinism ones are good.

Agreed.  I use mine mainly for resort skiing these days.

> c) velcro adjustable braces - which can be removed completely.

Adjustable, but still too long for me even when adjusted to be as short as possible.  Easily fixed by sewing a 'tuck' in to the straps, though - and definitely better than not being long enough!

> f)  I don't need to wear any thermals underneath and for walking/ice climbing  etc., in winter I find them perfectly adequate although my legs generally don't get cold anyway.

I need thermals under mine.  As you suggest, it depends on each individual's assessment of their own personal comfort.

Peakpdr 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Jockspotter:

ha ha ..i was just going to start this thread.. Was looking at the RAB Kinetic trousers today. They look great but very thin trousers and since i will be using them for Scottish winter think i will be better with something a bit more robust . will nip to Decathlon i think.. 

Also looking for a good pair of gloves for the same thing. 

John Ww 10 Dec 2019
In reply to Peakpdr:

Simond Alpinism only available on line I think.

olddirtydoggy 10 Dec 2019
In reply to AndyE9:

Another endorsement for the Simond Alpinism trousers here as well for Scottish winter. Oh yes, my wife too. The expensive branded trousers we use as a second pair back up.

beardy mike 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Jockspotter:

Whatever you buy you'll end up with a massive hole in them somewhere most likely on the first day you use them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...