UKC

Ice in Arolla

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petre 26 Jan 2022

Anybody recommend Arolla as a winter climbing destination? 

SouthernSteve 26 Jan 2022
In reply to petre:

There is a British Guide who lives in the valley - Graham Frost, he would be able to give you some information I am sure.

Suncream 26 Jan 2022
In reply to petre:

Plenty of accessible water ice, mostly lower grades. What exactly are you after? There's some alpine mixed climbing too but it's a bit more off the beaten track.

Post edited at 19:30
OP petre 26 Jan 2022
In reply to Suncream:

Evening

Looking for some easy access ice in the UK grades 3 to 5 if possible. Shortish walk ins and fairly reliable compared to UK venues

Thanks

Suncream 26 Jan 2022
In reply to petre:

Yeah you'll definitely get 3-4 days worth of that in La Gouille, above the road tunnels and near Arolla itself, until the middle of March I would guess (but can't promise!) If conditions are good the climbs around Evolène will be in too, which offers more variety. Good bus connections to get up and down the valley. A day's skiing at Arolla is fairly reasonably priced too, unlikely to be busy and better than you might expect. Have a look on camptocamp or message me directly if you need more specific advice.

Edit to say: at the weekends the Arolla icefalls get very popular with beginner groups, but you'll always find something to climb

Post edited at 20:18
OP petre 26 Jan 2022
In reply to Suncream:

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Is accommodation easy to come by at the cheaper end of the market? 

Suncream 27 Jan 2022
In reply to petre:

There's this place: https://www.pension-du-lac-bleu.ch/en/ they have a hostel-style dormitory for 20CHF per night, and some rooms. Pretty basic feel. I noticed a similar place in Arolla proper advertising a "dortoir" which will be cheap if it's available. Can't really help though because I normally do day trips.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...