UKC

Ice in the Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 09 Mar 2013
As per title really, just want a list of ice venues in the Peak District. Obviously I know nothing will be in at the moment or possibly again until next winter
andic 09 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

under burbage bridge is good, or millstone, dont forget to shit at the top of oxford st
 Ander 09 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Search for winter routes within 50 miles of Kinder Scout.
Ice won't find any, as the routes here are graded as Scottish Winter.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/#main
 Ander 09 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

Oooo- better do them next winter
OP xplorer 09 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

Somebody hasn't been climbing this weekend, UKC Crew strikes again
andic 09 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:
nope its 26+C and mudstone as far as the eye can see here, ........

.......I have put up 3 new routes in the last week though.
OP xplorer 09 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

Put up, with a hammer or a drill
andic 10 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Timberlands and chinos
OP xplorer 10 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

Hahaha, I've heard chinos are the new stone wash jeans.

Where are you based?
 colinnave 10 Mar 2013
 cragtyke 12 Mar 2013
In reply to Iain Thow: Wilderness Gullies got at least 5 ascents tonight, good conditions despite the warmth, Shining Clough looks close to fully formed, Wilboar probably the same.
 Iain Thow 13 Mar 2013
In reply to cragtyke: Cheers for that, will definitely get out tonight!
Removed User 14 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: Did Wildboar Clough last night, ice in pretty good condition for the middle of March.
andic 14 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

I've been in China back now in time for spring on the grit.
 BnB 15 Mar 2013
Was thinking of a trip to Wildboar/Shining/Wilderness tomorrow morning. Has anyone had a look today? Has the rain stripped all the ice?
 BnB 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Iain Thow: Thanks Ian. If anyone is heading out tomorrow morning give me a shout. I'm about an hour away from any of Wilderness/Shining/Wildboar areas
 Iain Thow 15 Mar 2013
In reply to BnB: just back from Kinder, scrambled up Crowden Clough, virtually no ice left, lots of water, good damp fun but certainly not worth carrying winter gear for. Still a fair bit of snow around high up but it's mostly soggy. Peat still well frozen though so nice easy walking. +5C at the moment at 400m. Cragging time?
 cragtyke 15 Mar 2013
In reply to BnB: I was thinking of maybe going for a look on sunday, as wildboar was really good on thursday night, and shining clough looked full. But it looks like the rain might have done for it all though.
If you park up on the A628 just east of woodhead bridge, where the farm track comes down, you can see the main fall in shining clough just above the trees and can tell how well formed it is,especially with binos, but not essential. A good guide to conditions for both shining and wildboar cloughs without the walk !
OP xplorer 21 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Bump
In reply to xplorer: BBC is forecasting 4 or 5 days of sub zero temps + lots of snow?

With that any chance even downfall might be in!?
OP xplorer 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Stuart Hurworth:

Lets hope so!

Anybody want to lead kinder if it does come in, I'm there all weekend from tomorrow, wouldn't mind seconding it
 Wheelsy 21 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

For what it's worth I was out on Bleaklow on Sunday and looking across to the northern side of Kinder there was still a fair amount of snow, although all of it that I came across was soft and slushy. All the waterfalls I passed were in full flow. Obviously it could all have changed since then.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wheelsy1/sets/72157633047566850/
OP xplorer 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Wheelsy:

If the next few days weather forecast is correct.......... It should be a good weekend for it. High winds and freezing at all levels, with snow coming tomorrow and Saturday.

Most routes in the peak are ice and turf so should have a few options
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Heavy snow, with strong winds at the moment. Temperature dropping to -6
 Simon Caldwell 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

All the usual passes are closed...
Oliiver 22 Mar 2013
In reply to what's crowden clough like when it freezes?.
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

You get a short 5 metre vertical steps at the bottom. And then about 75 meters of icy steps. It's defiantly worth a look tomorrow
 Offwidth 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Its never vertical for more than 1m.. the steps give about 5m of climbing at I,2. best fun with a single axe and no crampons, cutting small steps.
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I won't be cutting steps, it's a perfect spot for practising. Something on the downfall will be doable aswell possibly
jonintights 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:
What's going on here xplorer? you appear to want to give the benefit of a wealth of experience which you don't appear to have! I'd spend more time asking and listening than telling if I were you and you might learn something!
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:

Eh, why should I cut it to bits to walk up it. Using careful axe and crampon footwork it will last a lot longer than hacking to bits to make steps.

Like I said its a perfect spot for practising the basics of ice climbing. With kinder rite around the corner attracting the crowds, it's mostly always free

Just because some one suggested "their" way of doing crowden, it doesn't mean I have to follow suit. I really don't get your anger towards me.
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:

It appears you created a profile separate from your own, just to hurl abuse at me. I've obviously rattled your cage somewhere along the line. You obviously seek out confrontations as you have taken time out of your precious life to come and give me some life lessons, bit sad don't you think?

You have issues mate, and I don't mean issues of "climber magazine"
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:

Please give me examples of the behaviour your accusing me of sir
jonintights 22 Mar 2013
I call "troll"
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:

No no, I'd say your the blatant troll. No profile, new, provoking behaviour. All the makings there pal
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jonintights:

Come on tell us your real profile name, stop hiding under your bridge
Oliiver 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: presumably it's rant er easy for a semi novice then?.
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:

Yea I'm sure you won't have any problems. You could easily set up a top rope if needed for the first pitch.
 Offwidth 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

"why should I cut it to bits to walk up it. Using careful axe and crampon footwork it will last a lot longer than hacking to bits to make steps."

Funny you should say that...last year I publisised it being in good nick and a few days later it was trashed. I cut 3" chips every foot that were almost invisible until on it and those careful folk in crampons and twin axes soon bashed 7 bells out of it.
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

I can believe it. Every time kinder area has come in this winter I've been there. I've seen first hand people smashing it to pieces. It will always happen unfortunately

I can assure you I won't be doing the same. I've always found it easy enough to hook previous placements once its had an accent
Simon_Sheff 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> In reply to what's crowden clough like when it freezes?.

I can see kinder from my house. Yes you will have plenty of snow. It's actually quite warm though, snow melting on car roof etc. there will not be any ice for you to climb or bash anyway.
Snow does not equal frozen ice falls
Oliiver 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:O,I. Hope it freezes up. What's red brook like?.
 Offwidth 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Simon_Sheff:

Last year I walked up Crowden with only ice patches on the path and a full flowing stream. I knew this is spring fed and my guess was right at the top it might be frozen, and it was, if only just, so nice plastic ice. Valley conditions don't always give a good indication.

Conditions dont look so unlikley...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/peakdistrict/peakdistri...
OP xplorer 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Will post an update on back tor and crowden tomorrow morning
Oliiver 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: that'd be frat cheers
Oliiver 22 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: great

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...