UKC

Ice/mixed in & around Austrian Tyrol

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 davkeo 14 Jan 2018

So it looks like I will be staying in a place called 'See' in the Austrian Tyrol for about 3 weeks from Feb 12 on. I know nothing about the area but am very keen to get to know a new place and see what ice & mixed climbing is on offer. I'm sure there's tons but we maybe just don't hear about it. The Dolomites are about 3.5hrs away so that's on my radar. It's also about 1hr from Innsbruck. 

If anyone has any suggestions for areas that would be worth checking out then I'd be glad to hear of them. Multipitch ice/mixed routes would be my preference but any info, even general, would be very welcome. 

Also I will be looking for partners during this time so if the idea appeals to anyone then get in touch. Also be open to going to places like Kanderstag for a few days.

Thanks 

David

Post edited at 19:37
cb294 14 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

If you are talking about the place in the Inn valley near Landeck, the Ötztal will be your best bet.

According to

https://www.climbers-paradise.com/eisklettern-paznaun/

there is also some ice climbing in the valley next to See, but the Ötztal is not far (20km or so to Ötz) and offers quite a bit more. There was an article about the area on here a few months ago,

CB

cragtyke 14 Jan 2018
In reply to cb294:

Pitztal has plenty to go at as well and is inbetween Otztal and See. Again see the climbers paradise site for topos etc.

Misha 14 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Now I’ve checked where it is - yeah, there’s loads of pretty impressive ice climbing round there. Get a copy of Mario Sertori’s Alpine Ice - a few areas included there. Beat Kammerlander’s stomping ground!

cb294 15 Jan 2018
In reply to cragtyke:

Good call!

OP davkeo 15 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Thanks everyone this is very helpful & very exciting. 

All I need now it seems, is a partner. 

Post edited at 09:30
 Toerag 25 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

There's an article about Austrian water ice in a Klettern mag I picked up at xmas - does anyone want me to scan it for them? Topos for half a dozen locations if memory serves me correctly.

cb294 25 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

I had planned to be in that area around that time, but unfortunately job pressure forced me to postpone for the moment. Hope there is some ice left when I am free again!

CB

HeMa 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Toerag:

yes please...

Toerag 25 Jan 2018
In reply to HeMa:

OK. Will be tomorrow.

cb294 25 Jan 2018
In reply to Toerag:

I would also appreciate a copy if you are at it anyway!

Thanks,

CB

OP davkeo 26 Jan 2018
In reply to Toerag:

That would be great thanks 

davkeo@gmail.com

Phil Tucker 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Toerag:

If you don't mind I'd like a copy as well.

Cheers

Phil

Toerag 27 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Fill yer boots people https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uikdJbghIp4MqCx71aiDeerz2B33WTPw

Some pics are duplicated for quality reasons and it was easier to upload all.

verticon 29 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

You might find some useful inormation here (when you zoom in, you'll se the icefalls on the map in the roght column): 

http://www.bergsteigen.com/eisfall#lat=47.147315076149&lng=12.655219152...

cb294 29 Jan 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Thanks!

CB

cragtyke 29 Jan 2018
In reply to davkeo:

We,ve just come back from a week climbing in Otztal and Pitztal, we mainly relied on the Climbers Paradise app to get GPS positions for parking spots and crag locations. Heavy snowfall last weekend meant some parking spots were unavailable, and easier angled routes were snow covered, we also had to break trail a few times which was really hard work. In addition to CP I'd recommend you try and get hold of the  2005 Eisklettern in Tirol guide as there are routes in there not on CP and vice versa. My mate Chris has been updating the UKC logbook for the area.

There is also a new guide that's just come out I think http://www.bergsteigen.com/shop/eiskletterfuehrer-tirol

Toerag's info is for the area further east in the Hohe Tauern which may be a 1.5-2 hours drive, looks good though.

Pm me for more info about what we did, if needed.

OP davkeo 09 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Still looking for a partner If anyone fancies it. Arriving Sunday & plan to be in the area for 3 weeks. Also open to driving a bit to Dolomites or Kanderstag. 

Ice, Alpine or Mixed. Not too fussed about what we do initially just keen to get out and explore the areas. 

Cheers

David 

+353852145293

Pete Tapping 11 Feb 2018
In reply to davkeo:

Just got back from a brilliant week's ice climbing with Jagged Globe based in Imst. Loads of stuff around in Oztal and Pitztal. The new guide is on sale in the climber's bookshop in Innsbruck, saw it in the window today. A few pics on my Facebook page which I think you can see

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...