UKC

Intro to mountaineering ..Lakes. Suggestion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 26 Feb 2018

Can anyone suggest an area in the Lakes to introduce someone to mountaineering skills this week.

Not looking for a graded route on say Helvellyn or Great End more an area of crag/broken and mixed ground with various steepness that we can play around on and I can introduce them to a range of skills including foot work, rope, belays, placing gear and so on.

We tried a couple of weeks ago and I took them up (as a 2nd) a graded guidebook route but my friend freaked out with other climbers overtaking and the amount of ice/snow being kicked down on to us.   

Any suggestions for an area of fell or crag would be appreciated.  I used to love Brown Cove crags for this type of stuff as you could wander all over the place without it getting to technical but now it seems very busy every time I go near the place.

Cheers

GrahamUney 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan M:

Cock Cove, Tarn Crags, Nethermost Cove are all a lot quieter. Or try somewhere a bit different such as Harter Fell Y Gully, or Small Water Crag Gully.

OP Alan M 26 Feb 2018
In reply to GrahamUney:

> Cock Cove, Tarn Crags, Nethermost Cove are all a lot quieter. Or try somewhere a bit different such as Harter Fell Y Gully, or Small Water Crag Gully.

Thanks Graham,

Will read the guidebook and maps and take a look at those areas.  I did originally think one of the other coves on the Helvellyn range like Nethermost etc. would be suitable just from an access point of view.  I haven't winter climbed on the Helvellyn range for a few years now (so my memory might be off) but I do remember scope for lots of wandering all over the headwalls and broken crags in those areas (if conditions permit).   Tarn crags look decent from the guidebook description.   Reading the current condition reports it seems that buttresses are currently out of condition and bare? 

Thanks will take a look at your suggestions.  I am up in the Lakes on Blencathra tomorrow so will get a feel for conditions and see how things pan out over the week.

Cheers

petegunn 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Alan M:

For somewhere maybe new and definitely quiet you could have a look at Chapel Crags over in Buttermere. Might be good after this weeks "Beast from the East"

Ive done a few routes up there in the past and there would be a lot of scope for easy made up routes plus there's quite a few easier lines if you wished to do one in the guide.

Chapel Crags

https://cdn.ukc2.com/i/131768.jpg

Its like a better Red Cove but don't tell anyone

Post edited at 23:31
 Johnsulli 27 Feb 2018
In reply to petegunn:

I was on chapel crags on Sunday, excellent sport in the gullys with some ice falls forming. Buttresses stripped of snow but frozen turf. Excellent quiet venue, had it to ourselves! Just as good as anything on Hellvelyn or Great End! 

petegunn 27 Feb 2018
In reply to Johnsulli:

Also as a bonus, isn't it claimed in one of the guides, to be six thousand seven hundred metres high!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...