UKC

Is the forecast snow for the end of next week just a wind up?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 veteye 19 Jan 2022

There was a pseudo-news headline on one of the internet websites today about snow coming to Scotland for the end of next week. 

It brightened my feelings up for the morning, but then I thought that it probably will not be kept in good condition by the follow on weather. There's been too much thaw of late, and not enough freeze.

Will it be a good February?

CurlyStevo 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

no sign of it here yet https://apps.ecmwf.int/webapps/opencharts/products/medium-mslp-wind850?base...

It is mentioned here though https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-weather-icy-blast-f...

No one can reliably forecast 10 days ahead anyways.

Post edited at 08:47
 Tony the Blade 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Nowt in the Cairngorms according to MWIS

Planning Outlook

High pressure builds again from the west later this week bringing further mainly dry weather to most areas through into the weekend and early next week. After a sub-zero day on Thursday, air temperatures will tend to rise on the mountains as inversion conditions become established again - lifting above freezing point, although some higher terrain remaining frozen with areas of hardened snow and ice. Frost common in many valleys. Westerly winds will see cloud tend to fill in at times across western hills, but many high tops often above the cloud banks. A little drizzle sometimes affects western Scotland into the weekend. Strongest winds toward the northern Highlands, at times gale force and very gusty.

DerwentDiluted 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

It wasn't the deadly 'mega snow bomb set to hit Uk as temperatures plummet to minus 10' that is on perma-rotation on DailyExpressOnline October-April was it?

If so I wouldn't plan around it.

In reply to veteye:

It will be the best winter conditions you've ever known.

Dave Hewitt 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

There's certainly not much snow about in the Southern Highlands just now, below 1000m at least. I had Munro outings both days at the weekend and never set foot in any - although on the first one there was a fair bit of patchy stuff on the flanks above about 850m. It was very mid-January chilly on top in the wind both days however - I had lunch on top on the Saturday outing and it took me a good 20 minutes of descent (admittedly into the wind) before I properly warmed up again. On Sunday I thought better of such ideas and got half an hour down from the top before stopping for food.

Jim Fraser 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Influenced by High pressure south of the UK and Ireland, thin cover and sogginess much of the time and substantial winds on the tops at times.

Lower temperatures and light snow on the tops during Sunday and Monday, maybe Tuesday. Probably soggy again Wednesday. 

OP veteye 19 Jan 2022
In reply to veteye:

Thank you to all.

It was saying the snow would arrive at the end of next week, at least for a short while, starting in Scotland, and then heading down the east to East Anglia.

With the other references, I can see that it is utter fable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...