UKC

Is there something wrong with this climbing axe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Based on what you see in the picture, does this used HB Hurricane ice axe look safe for use on graded winter climbs is there anything wrong with it? I’d really appreciate getting as many people’s opinions as possible. Thanks in advance.

http://www.roxcalibur.com/pix/hbiceaxe2.jpg
 Aigen 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: The pick is too small. Get a new pick if you can.
ice.solo 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy:

Is the london tower museum looking for it?
 nniff 07 Feb 2013

Half the pick's missing!
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: Looks as though it just needs a new pick. Check the rivets out both sides. Check for any cracks in the alloy shaft. Usual starting at rivet holes etc. Looks as though someone has covered it with some heat shrink as an extended handle but no reason to suppose it hides damage. If you do suspect, cut the rubber/plastic back, check for damage then recover with self bonding tape or similar.

Looking at the head, it has not had a hard life. No sign of mixed battering.

I had a takoon that cracked, just stop drilled the crack, speed tape repaired the stress area then it was fine to use.

You have to look as a mechanism of failure, the consequences etc. If you suspect the head will fall off with little effort, don't use ever as a climbing tool! if you thing a shaft/handle has been bent and damaged, as long as it wouldn't fail under normal use, just use to climb with but not as a emergency belay..... but you could, by cliping into the head.... erradicating any suspect damged areas.....

The length of the pick shows it has been used, you could replace with a new one. But hey, Terras/Pecks had way shorter stubby blades.

Tim

In reply to mountain musher: Thanks for the detailed answer. The head is solid enough, it's the length on the pick that worries me, especially in the event of arresting a fall.

What does anybody else think? Would you chance climbing with this axe? I'd appreciate any replies. I'm just trying to get a broad opinion. Thanks.
 nniff 07 Feb 2013

As it stands - no.
 iksander 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: As others have said, looks like half the pick is missing http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Ice-Axes/Ic...
 TobyA 07 Feb 2013
In reply to nniff:

> As it stands - no.

Agreed. It looks so neat I wonder if someone has specifically chopped the pick off to maybe use the tool as an alpine peg hammer to similar? I wonder if the handle is modified too?

This is is the sort of thing I mean http://www.camp-usa.com/products/big-wall/piton-hammer-3024.asp
 TobyA 07 Feb 2013

BTW just looked at your most recent photo in your gallery - is that you? And are you not wearing a helmet? If not, I'd try and get yourself one. I think for winter climbing it really is good to have one, and you can find basic, good models for not too much at all.
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Gerry_Doncaster)
>
> BTW just looked at your most recent photo in your gallery - is that you? And are you not wearing a helmet? If not, I'd try and get yourself one. I think for winter climbing it really is good to have one, and you can find basic, good models for not too much at all.

Hi, yes it's me climbing without a helmet. I have got a helmet but only tend to use it when there's loose rock around. I hadn't considered using it for winter routes but I'll take on board your advice. Thanks for your input about the axe.
 Roberttaylor 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: I'd use it, looks totally fine.
 TobyA 07 Feb 2013

> Hi, yes it's me climbing without a helmet. I have got a helmet but only tend to use it when there's loose rock around. I hadn't considered using it for winter routes

No problem. If you look at photos you'll see almost 100% of winter climbers wear helmets (as opposed to winter walkers) wear them these days. Ice breaks when the leader hits it, rocks are often loose on the edge of gullies, there may be teams ahead of you, etc. etc. Of course gullies are natural funnels for anything from above. Even if you slip and slide down a snow slope a helmet might help you. Personally I wouldn't take someone out ice or mixed climbing unless I could lend them a helmet if they didn't have their own.

Carolyn 07 Feb 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Not to mention keeping your hat on in a hoolie, and fending off crampons attached to over enthusiastic novices above you.....

But yes, more seriously, I think a helmet is particularly useful in winter.
In reply to Carolyn: Yes that all makes senes, I'll wear my helmet for winter climbing from now on.

Anybody else got any comments about the axe in question. I'd really appreciate as many opinions as possible, thanks.
 AdrianC 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: Not sure you're going to get much more than the "looks in OK nick but the pick's half-size" kind of response. Is that rubber grip original? Guess it could be hiding something.
 pff 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: Why not get a new axe, im sure you ll get a good deal if you also get a helmet.
 DaveHK 07 Feb 2013
> (In reply to Carolyn) >
> Anybody else got any comments about the axe in question. I'd really appreciate as many opinions as possible, thanks.

I don't think your going to get any radically different opinions on that.

Would you like me to tell you it's ok?

In reply to DaveHK: Thanks to everybody who commented on the axe. I was trying to keep it completely objective so I didn't say too much about the background. Truth is I've just bought this axe on ebay and it was described as being in "good condition". As soon as I saw it I knew half the pick was missing and contacted the seller to ask for a refund. The seller refused stating that the axe and in particular the pick was fully intact. I'm now going to send the seller a link to this thread. Thanks again to everybody.
 DaveHK 07 Feb 2013

Fair dos. That's definately not good condition or even useable condition.
 Brass Nipples 07 Feb 2013

It's got a short pecker, looks like its been over filed down. Definitely not good condition.
 ffdalton 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: wow, check out the pair of axes cliff lowthers got on his blog, www.clifflowtherroxcoolblog.blogspot.com

I don't know if it's been over-filed or specifically modified for something.

But one thing is for certain, It seems to have had little use, BUT the pick can not be described as in good condition.

Half of it is missing.

I have a set of Simond axes that are about 28 years old and have suffered from lots of sharpening. The picks are twice as long as the one in your shot.

This item is not as described, ask for your money back or claim from Paypal.

I hope you used paypal.

Good luck

Looking at the picture again, the pick should reach the edge of the picture at least!
 GridNorth 07 Feb 2013
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: The pick is waaaaaaay too short and likely to cause problems on bulging ice.
In reply to Rylstone_Cowboy: That pick does not look right for the axe. If you look at the Needle Sports website under Ice Axe Spares/Discontinued Axes, you'll see the picks that were available for the Hurricane, neither of which looks like that one. Having said that, as long as it's all solid, I guess it couldn't be much worse than a Terrordactyl - but axes have come a long way since then. One things for sure, you are most unlikely to find and spares for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...